Never | Teen Ink

Never

After twelve years of being with your parents, having to leave them forever is not the easiest thing to do. May 27, 2005, was the last day I saw them. This was probably one of the hardest days of my life. At this time I didn’t really see how bad they actually were. I was so caught up in the moment, I didn’t realize how much they were addicted to drugs and alcohol. I have known about them doing these things since probably the day I was born. I never told anyone about what they did though, because I was so afraid of having to let them go. This soon caught up with me, and that day finally came.

Around 3:00 p.m. right after my last day of 6th grade, I was called to the office. There standing, was my mom and the social worker waiting for me. My mom looked horrible. She looked really tired and like she had been crying for hours. I wanted to ask if she was okay, but I guess it just didn’t seem like the right time for questions. Once we got to the car, the social worker explained everything. She pretty much summed it up as this: “Your mom has had plenty of time to get her things straight. Maybe if she has some space away from you children, it will help her get her things done faster. After she has finished what she needs to get done, she can get you guys back.” Immediately, I busted out crying. I didn’t want to leave. I knew my mom couldn’t even take care of herself, and honestly, I didn’t think I could take care of myself either. At this point my mom was holding me and telling me everything would be okay. All I felt like saying was, “No. It’s not going to be okay. I’m leaving and you have none of your kids.” Of course, I didn’t.

When we got to my house, I had to go to my room and pack everything. I grabbed some big black trash bags and I just started throwing all of my things in there. I could pretty much care less if anything broke at the time, because I was pretty upset. When I was finished I heard the social worker saying my aunt was on her way to me up. I honestly didn’t want to see anyone, so I stayed in my room and waited.

“She’s here Kat!” I heard my mom say, but I didn’t move. I couldn’t. I didn’t want to leave my mom, or this house. Once they came in, I finally started taking my things to her car. Everyone was trying to make conversations with me, but I wouldn’t give in. All I gave them were one worded answers. Eventually, they gave up. Once we finished loading everything up, we said our last goodbyes. My mom and I were once again, in the position of both of us crying and holding each other. “Its time to go,” my aunt said softly. I knew I had to let go, but I couldn’t. They didn’t exactly have to pry me off, but I didn’t let go very fast either.

The whole ride home was pretty silent. I wouldn’t talk because I knew my parents would probably get brought up again and I would cry, and I wasn’t about to let that happen again. We finally got “home”, and I find out I actually get my own room. That was pretty exciting. I unpacked all my things and waited. What am I waiting for? A phone call. I fell asleep waiting. She didn’t call that night. Actually she didn’t call for the next week. She started calling only about once a week, then it started getting shorter to about once a month. Soon she just stopped calling. I remember the last thing she said to me, “I know you guys are in a better place now, I love you.” And that was it.

I’m really glad that someone stepped in and saw what was happening around me and my siblings. I am also very thankful that it was my aunt and uncle that were the ones to take us in. If it wasn’t for them, we would all be split up in different foster homes. They officially adopted us in August of 2007. We dropped our parents’ last name and took on theirs. I am now fifteen, and I have decided I will never try any kind of drugs or alcohol. I will never put my kids through the things they put us through, and finally, I will NEVER be like my parents in any kind of way.

writer3499 GOLD, New Bedford, Massachusetts

"it's impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might has well not have lived at all-in which case you fail by default."
-J.K.Rowling

im sorry i didnt mean ti write that... but this is really deep and i loved it! would you mind checking out my work? 

-J.K.Rowling

That 

Autumn-Rain SILVER, West Lafayette, Indiana
Thanks for writing that. I have never been in a situation like that. But you put so much feeling into it that I felt like I had been there. BuI get I get what you mean when you say that you'll never be like your parents. My mom verbally abuses us... and I am never ever going to make my kids go through what she has made me go through. I'm not mad at her anymore... I finally forgave her. But I'll never be the same because of it...

AyeshaMuzaffar BRONZE, Lahore, Other
I havew been through the same story expect that It happened to me say 8 months ago. Your'e right it's not the easiest thing to do. Leaving your folks.

This almost brought me to tears...you are so strong!

sillyaardvarkabc BRONZE, Riverside, Connecticut
Oh my gosh. I live in a town that is pretty much drug-free so I have never experienced, or met anyone who has experienced this. I thought it was great how you said you would never be like your parents because most kids would say that they want to be like them. Keep being strong.