The Boy on Stage | Teen Ink

The Boy on Stage

By Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York
Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

He walked onto the stage, his guitar in hand. Everyone turned watch, as he made the microphone stand shorter. He announced the song he would play, and then began. My friends had frowns on their faces and laughed at the boy on stage. He wasn’t the best singer, and not many people liked the boy on stage, but he had the courage to walk up on the stage and play. My friends started booing him. I couldn’t believe they’d do that, but they did. He looked down at them, but kept playing. Shaking off their heckling. That’s when I stood and faced my friends. “He has the bravery to get up on stage and sing, and you boo him? How could you do that?” I yelled. “I bet you wouldn’t have the courage to get up there. And even if you did, how would you like it if everybody booed you?” Then I turned to the boy on stage, and cheered and clapped. Later, as the night ended and I walked to my dad’s car, I stood with my head held high, because I cheered for that boy on stage, who adjusted the microphone to his height, and shruggeds off the words that would have made others walk away.

This happened at a school fun-night where you could get up on stage and sing. This kid was one of the only ones that did.

That's an awesome thing you did, Tink I bet you made that boy's day. Nice writing too! Keep up the great work! :)

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

Thanks Carrie. Yours is too!

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

thanks. and yeah, shruggeds is a typo. whoopsy. ;)

IAmWhoIWantToBe PLATINUM, Manila, Other

‎"I’m learning how to drown out the constant noise that is such an inseparable part of my life. I don’t have to prove anything to anyone. I only have to follow my heart and concentrate on what I want to say to the world: I run my world." - Beyoncé

So sweet of you... My friends would have smacked me if I did the same thing. LOL

Anyway, in the last sentence... shruggeds? A typo?

I like your story. It's kind of short but all the more fun to read. So... :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

This is a great article, Tink!  Your writing just keeps getting better.  Good job for standing up for that boy! :)