Living in a Stereotypical World | Teen Ink

Living in a Stereotypical World

July 27, 2011
By KayleeRae PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
KayleeRae PLATINUM, Arvada, Colorado
34 articles 49 photos 46 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Either write something worth doing or do something worth writing."


Stereotypes sicken me, not because they’re used against others, but because they’re commonly true. No, I’m not insisting that all of the hideous things said about other races are true. Skin color shouldn’t be a factor within judgment. However, I’m speaking of the high school stereotypes: cheerleader, jock, nerd, art geek.
I don’t mean to offend, I’m just saying what I feel. Perhaps my school is one of the worst stereotypical high schools there are out there. It’s quite saddening
Maybe, just maybe, if you wanted to make the impression that not all cheerleaders are blonde, with short mini-skirts and heels, try to keep away from that. Don’t wear mini-skirts and heels, or bleach your hair, or “make your rounds” with the guys in the school.
And as for the nerds. I love you to death, but if you are complaining about people segregating you, maybe you should try to be social? I love reading, myself, along with math and English. But that doesn’t keep me from socializing, hanging out with my friends. Yes, it’s hard to be social. It’s hard for all of us, but we all still try.
Jocks, one stereotype about you is completely ridiculous: you aren’t all stupid, and we all know that. Though you sometimes may act it, and though you only need a two point whatever grade average to get a full-ride scholarship, you’re not stupid. One thing, though, is that there’s no need to date the girls in your status quo. Go ahead, date that spunky girl from painting class. I know you see her smiling.
And as for that girl in painting class, you can talk to people outside of your little group! I’m particularly sensitive to this stereotype because I certainly belong in it: the theatre, choir, drawing, painting, instrumental, full-on art geek. And I love it. But I still have my cheerleader friends, my nerd friends, and my jock friends.
Stereotyping may not be ideal, but it can be very true. So, reach out. Try talking to someone different. Don’t complain about being put under a “category,” for you very well subject yourself to that insult.


The author's comments:
Not trying to offend anyone, I swear. Just putting this out there. Agree/disagree? Tell me below.