Breathless Under the Paddle Boat | Teen Ink

Breathless Under the Paddle Boat

By Nourab SILVER, Burke, Virginia
Nourab SILVER, Burke, Virginia

“What I’ve learned is not to change who you are, because eventually you’re going to run out of new things to become.

Laying on the shore on a hot sunny day, I felt like nothing in the world could hurt me. I stretched my toes and felt the ocean water wash over my legs. Everything was perfect. Until all I could see was pitch black.
It took me about three seconds to realize that one of the paddles boats docked on the shore was now on top of me with two riders on it. I screamed at the top of my lungs every time I could catch my breath for water. I felt the blade from the boat slit my foot, making me bleed immensely. After about 40 seconds underwater and not being able to breathe, I came to terms that this was how I was going to die. I felt completely helpless and unable to save my own life.
I then heard my sister cry for help, pleading for someone to lift the boat from her sister. All of the sudden, the sun crept up from underneath the boat and I saw the lifeguard lift the boat up. He helped me up and asked if I was okay. I couldn’t speak at the time and was unable to stop myself from shaking. I fainted from the shock.
When I woke up, all I could think of was how lucky I was to be alive. If it weren’t for my sister noticing that I was stuck under the boat, I would not be here today. Ever since that day, I have lived everyday like it would be my last. I realized that life is too short to sweat the small stuff and limit yourself from certain things.
“Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.” – Unknown.