Well-Wisher in the Shadows | Teen Ink

Well-Wisher in the Shadows

October 12, 2011
By Beliza_Heart SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Beliza_Heart SILVER, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
7 articles 5 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I cannot tell my story without going a long way back." Herman Hesse in the prolouge to Demian
“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.” GK Chesterton


Hey.
Do you remember me? No? Didn’t think so.
I remember you though. We went to elementary school together. We used to be friends.
I don’t know your friends, the one who was hurt with you, and the one who died. I don’t know them, but I feel connected. After all, we lived in the same small community; the same town who rallied together to help my family, who assembles together now to remember his life and pray for yours and the other survivor’s.
I’m sorry you’re hurt. I’m sorry you may be dying. I’m sorry you lost a friend. I’m sorry I don’t know you anymore.
I log onto my Facebook and scroll through the statuses of the people that we were friends with in elementary school. They all wish you luck, send their prayers, and above all wish that you will come home from the hospital.
I observe from afar, wishing the same things for you. You were my friend once; I remember you well. If you see this, and I hope you do, know that I wish for you to return to the life you know. I wish that your friend’s death won’t bring you down and thrust you into a life you wish not to live. I wish that you will lose no one else and that you will come home.
Of course, I wish above all what cannot be changed. I wish the car accident hadn’t of happened. I wish I could turn back the clock and keep your friends and yourself from driving when you did. I wish he hadn’t of died and you weren’t in a hospital right now fighting for your life.
Don’t strain yourself to try to remember me, even if I was one of three redheads in our entire school. Don’t take your thoughts away from getting better to mourn the loss of your friend. You can mourn when your life isn’t in anymore danger.
Don’t give up. Never give in to the sorrow and pain that is sure to be overwhelming you. Know that we all love you, us from that small town. Know that hundreds of well wishes go forth to you and your struggling friend. The two of you must come home. Our whole town wishes it so.
I know you don’t remember me and that I no longer live in the small community. Know that I want you to go back home to the people who love you most. To your parents, your friends, your life and may your friend rest in peace. What I hope you will understand in time is that I’m here, a well-wisher in the shadows.


The author's comments:
To anyone who sees this: Send your well wishes out to Elizabeth now. The two survivors who are fighting for their lives need that right now.