My Own Scarlet Letter | Teen Ink

My Own Scarlet Letter

By HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
HoloWise PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois

My name is Alexis. I was born in Alaska. I lived there for seven years. Abuse, in any expression, was very prominent during that time. My uncles were terrible and evil. I was repeatedly raped by a boy whose name is unknown. I was 4 and 5 years old. That was only an inch to that horrible mile of my life.
My mother neglected us and left us to the "care" of my uncles. They used to strapped me and my sisters to a chair and we were forced to watch disturbing and terrible horror movies. If any of us looked away or closed our eyes, we were slapped and our heads were turned back.
I was given a list of chores and if I didn't do them, I would be put into a bug duffel bag with my two sisters and we were thrown into the closet under the stairs.
I barely got any sleep because I would take watch so that I knew my sisters were safe.
Food, like soup, was taken from us and we only got the broth.
Things like these were done to us and I hated it! But then I was given a chance to have a better life.
When I turned 7, I moved to North Carolina and lived with my dad and my now step-mom. My sister came with me. I am told I was hateful. I don't remember. I'm told I still am.
I love my family. They are very near and dear to me. The thing about it is, it's kinda hard for me to show it. And because of that, my actions are interpreted wrong. Like, opposite what I want it to. And it always leads up to everyone yelling, crying or giving cold shoulders. Sometimes in combinations. My Scarlet Letter is A. It stands for my own name. I live with this everyday since I was seven.