The Question | Teen Ink

The Question

By natjane27 SILVER, DKI Jakarta, Other
natjane27 SILVER, DKI Jakarta, Other

I can do all things with Christ who strengthens me

What is my hobby?

For a lot of people, answering the question “What is your hobby?” is one of the easiest things to do while filling your university application form. For me, however, it is one of the hardest questions to tackle.

What is a hobby anyway? For me, hobbies are those things that calm you down, that you escape to, your safe haven. Where you can totally knock off any inhibitions and boundaries, and be yourself to the fullest. Where you feel joy, happiness, and excitement just by thinking about doing it. Hobby is…

I can’t continue talking about hobbies that way. I’ve never felt relax doing one particular thing. No activity seems to make the perfect safe haven for me. I normally have to do literally nothing to relax. Even then, my mind still wanders off seeing what activities to do.

Reading. Okay, reading is good. Reading is fun. I’ve got tons of books, and I’ve read them all. But sometimes I get frustrated when I don’t really understand the book. I often get headaches while reading, and I don’t read in cars and basically any moving thing.

Writing? To be honest, writing is fun. I’ve been wanting to pursue writing for a while. But often I do not know what to write about. I’ve tried writing many silly stories about the life of a robber, or some kind of magical version of my own life with a touch of exaggeration. None of those are read-worthy materials.

Music? Sure, I like listening to music. However, the only songs I know are Glee-covered songs, and not even all the songs I know. I don’t know famous singers and artists, and I’ve just discovered Taylor Swift after all this time. Yeah, I cannot claim to be a music-loving person. Playing musical instruments? Singing? Out of the question! I learned the basics of piano, the basics of guitar, the basics of bass, the basics of violin, and never got out from the basics.

Technological-related things? Hmm, let’s see. I (more than once) managed to make my Macbook freeze, when it’s just less than a month old. I broke my phone in a way that now it cannot restart properly, so I have to do a hard restart every time I need to restart. Technology is definitely not my strongest forte.

So, what is?

I’m still searching for who I am right now, but I thank God every day that I am not alone in my journey. I have God, I have my family, I have my friends who are also undergoing the same journey, and constantly supporting each other. I still stumble at the question “What is your hobby?” in a college application, but at least I’ve learnt something new now. Whatever I am going to do, I am definitely not alone. And for now, that’s enough.

I hope people who feel like they do not know what they like can relate to what I am feeling, and know they are never alone.