"hey" | Teen Ink

"hey" MAG

By The_WonderFile SILVER, Corvallis, Oregon
The_WonderFile SILVER, Corvallis, Oregon

“hey” Your simple, unexpressive greeting fills me with excitement as I eagerly flip my phone open to text back. I decide to go for a casual, non-creepy reply, something that doesn't scream “I like you!” A cool, collected response. I pause, thinking, and then come up with the perfect reply.

“Hey.”

But, oh … did I text back too fast? I have to wait a full ten minutes for your, I'm sure, very sincere and truly curious answer.

“whats up”

Your lack of capitalization and punctuation annoys me, but no matter! I decide not to look like a desperate Grammar Nazi, and so wait a few extra minutes before responding, acronym-style.

“nm wbu”

There! This says “I don't care about you, and I have better things to be doing than talking to you! And I'm also totally not studying for my English exam, because that would be lame.”

“chillin”

Your long-awaited reply lights up my screen. Oh, how my heart is set aflutter by your verbal deficiencies! No, it really is.

“Sounds fun.”

Sarcastic, but not too. Yes, I am witty. Now do something that matters, like admit how beautiful I am or confess your undying love ….

“gtg”

Well, that was disappointing, I think, as your reply buzzes in my hand. Now, though, is the biggest conundrum; whether to reply with some sort of farewell, or to leave you hanging. I decide to go with a short and sweet dismissal.

“Bye.”

The next day at school, you're holding hands with a girl I know.

“We aren't dating,” she tells me later in the confidence of a nearly empty locker room. “Yet,” she adds with a coy smile.

My heart is ripped out of my chest and stomped on by your gray and black Vans as I say, “Oh, cool!” and grin halfheartedly. Her “yet” nags at my brain for hours. You texted me. You were the one who made me fall in love with you. And now, this – her? What about us? There was going to be an us!

Wasn't there?

Hours later. The clock shines its fluorescent red numbers at me across the top of my desk – 10:31. My eyelids droop and I am nearly asleep when …

Bzzzzzz. My phone vibrates. I grab it and flip it open, my empty chest numb.

“hey”

My chest is neither empty nor numb now, because it throbs. I squeeze my eyes shut as I try to think of a response that will express my feelings about you.

Finally, it comes to me; something that speaks of all my hurt and betrayal, all my jealousy and heartbreak, all my unrequited love.

“Hey.”

Note to self; learn to actually TALK to the guy you like.

LittleRedDeliriousPrince SILVER, Parma Heights, Ohio
This article describes my life perfectly haha

Imaginedangerous PLATINUM, Riverton, Utah
So funny, and yet so true. Great work. :)