Zenyaking | Teen Ink

Zenyaking

By theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan
theatregirl PLATINUM, Lathrup Village, Michigan

"To thine own self be true," -from Hamlet, a play by Shakespeare.
"I have sworn on the altar of god eternal hostility against all forms of tyranny over the mind of man." - Thomas Jefferson

As I waited by the boat house to go kayaking at camp during cabin act, my mind was all over the place. I was think about school when I put on my lifejacket. As I receive my paddle, I thought about how I wanted to go archery so I would make the bull eye club before camp ended. As I pick out a kayak from the shore, I talked to my cabin mates about how we wanted the boys to prank us back.
Finally, our counselor pushed us off the beach and into the boating area. It was beautiful day. The water was like glass, and the sun shinned brightly on lake. The air was warm and cool breeze bowed. We paddle to middle of the lake. Everyone paddle their kayak into a circle, and I joined after a few steering issue.
I sat there, holding my hands in cool water. I simply sat there and admire the beauty of lake. I simply did nothing. Me and cabin mates just sat their silently for about 5 minutes. I felt a surreal.
Well, we start talking again. (Teenage girls can only stay silent for so long) After about 5 minute later cabin act was over, and we had paddle back to shore. As we paddle back, I start thing about how that first time in long time when was totally in the moment. I hadn’t been a time recently were I worried about nothing beside what was happen at very moment. It amazing how good it felt to simply sit there and think about, well, nothing.
Today, where 79% of High Senior are in after school activities and 75% of teenager have cell phone, teen rarely have time to just live in moment. Between endless texting conversation and countless afterschool activities, today teens are rarely in the moment. But research shows that clearing you mind is good. Studies show that just 3 minute of mediation, which simply concentrating on one thing , per day was enough to have long turn effect on reducing physiological illnesses.
So next, I start to fell over stress, next time find myself worrying about where I will be 5 year for now, next time I so into thought I forget where I am, I will think time I went zenyaking, and my mind will simply float away.

I wrote this after going to camp. this is my first article,and first time i every publish anything outside of school, so i hope you enjoy it.