Why My Voice is Importent | Teen Ink

Why My Voice is Importent

By Horus-Lupercal PLATINUM, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Horus-Lupercal PLATINUM, Bartlesville, Oklahoma

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. (Adam Savage)

Hundreds of years ago, so long that nothing but antiquity and history properly remember, was a man. This man’s name was Moses, born in Egypt. His people, the Hebrews, had slaved for decades under the vicious rule of the Pharaoh, praying for release. This single man, Moses of Egypt, delivered his people from Egypt, starting a new era of history in the Middle East. But where, I ask you, would this savior have been should he have been mute. Who today does not remember his immortal words he spoke to the Pharaoh? “Let my people go!” He said to him, a cry taken up by millions everywhere in the kingdom. I say again, where would the Hebrews be today had their deliverer not had his voice?

Flash forward to a thousand years ago. A child is born in Bethlehem to a carpenter and his virgin wife. This child’s name is Jesus Christ, greatest prophet of God. This boy, this remarkable young man, will go on to be a teacher, a healer, a man of miracles, and a martyr. The Lord sent him to teach us the error of our ways and allow us passage into His Kingdom. But who would have learned the Messiah’s ways without a voice to teach them. Who would have even believed him and his teachings had he not been able to defend himself. How would he have taught us, saved us, without his voice?

One hundred and fifty one years ago. A man is elected the sixteenth President of the United States of America. That man was Abraham Lincoln, a man of principles, honor, and a passion for freedom. Under his guidance, our country survived the bloodiest war ever, and committed the greatest act of our nation’s life, the demolishing of slavery. This great man’s skill for penning amendments stretched to his speaking skills as well. He fought great debates to become our leader, and these immortal words ring clear in every veteran’s mind.

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.
Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.
Such fine words, spoken by a true man of character. Now imagine if these words were never spoken. If the man who wrote the 13th amendment could never have spoken of it, where would our nation be today? What would have finally become of the institution of slavery, and the Civil War?

August 28th, 1963. There stands a black man addressing a huge crowd of people. In this summer heat the timeless words of freedom and liberty were spoke, “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." Imagine that these words were never spoken, never delivered to the black man and the white man alike, for life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness! These words shaped America; imagine that there was never a voice to speak them.

December, 2012. There stands before you a young boy, barely in his teen years. He’s seen things, though not much. But in my own way I have viewed suffering, sorrow, injustice and pain. In my own way too, I have prevented these things. When my friend was being abused, I stood with him. When a stranger needed help I gave such to him. What help would I have been without my voice? Where would they be if I couldn’t say “This is WRONG?” My voice is important, not only for my own benefit but to others. I can be the voice for the weak, I can pioneer a new era of equality of fairness such as this county has never experienced. I can defend myself. When no one wants to see my views, I can make them understand. When people want to hurt me I can fight for myself. Without my voice I am nothing, just another face in the masses. With my voice I become an individual; with my voice I become powerful. With my voice, I embody myself.

I wrote this for my speech class. I hope it inspires someone