Proudest Moment 101 | Teen Ink

Proudest Moment 101

By Tazzy4Lyfe BRONZE, Bronx, New York, New York
Tazzy4Lyfe BRONZE, Bronx, New York, New York

As I entered through the main entrance of Bronx Academy of Letters, my stomach had butterflies. My stepfather and I made our way up the two flights of stairs to the auditorium. Before I stepped foot in the auditorium I was greeted by two young boys, who handed me a little booklet with names and information about the event. When I opened the small booklet, I was surprised to see my name first. I felt more nervous than anything. My knees buckled as I made my way to the seats, and my hands were so sweaty that I must have tried to dry them off on my black dress pants about a thousand times. By the time I got to my seat with my stepfather, I felt as if I went through a short stage of menopause because of all the sweat that accumulated around my neck and chest area. I felt like I should have quit.

As I made my way to the front row I saw Mr. Pilarski (my vice principal), Ms. Mercogliano, Ms. Sampson, and Ms. Benett at the judging tables on one side of the proscenium stage; while Ms. Cotton (my female writing workshop teacher) was at the other end of the proscenium stage. All the judges were dressed either casual or professionally including Mr. Clarke (my writing workshop teacher and adviser). Mr. Clarke was the announcement speaker for this very special event. Mr. Clarke announced how the event would go and the rules. Mr. Clarke said that this poetry out loud contest has the ability to go state and then national. He also told us that there will be two rounds for this event. Round one contestant’s would be able to recite their first poem, in order according to the booklet we were all handed at the door. Round two would be the same, but instead the contestants would have to recite their second poem.

I was the first person to go up on stage to recite my poem. As I walked up to the stage, the spotlight blinded my eyes for a moment. I was able to see again when I reached the microphone. Round 1, I recited my “Richard Cory” poem by Edwin Arlington Roberson. I understood the poem I recited it so well. I could see how a man that has everything and is intelligent can still feel so unhappy that the only way he can get away from his sadness is by killing himself. As soon as I was done I felt much better and much more confident. I stepped down so the next person could come up on stage. After many students recited their poems, Mr. Clarke announced a five minute break. After the five minute break was over I went up again to recite my second poem “Incident” by Countee Cullen for round 2. I also understood the second poem I recited because, I can relate to being called a n***** out of disrespect and only remembering bad incidents even when I’m suppose to be having a good time. Besides my boost of confidence I was happier than I've ever been. The other competitors were very good. Some messed up more than others, but each one of them had a great deal of courage. I could tell that all the competitors tried their best even if they messed up.

Once everyone was done reciting their poems for round two, Mr. Clarke announced another five minute break, so the judges could total up points. When the five minutes were over Mr. Clarke announced six competitors who did not win, but Mr. Clarke gave them recognition and a single flower. Then he called up the three top winners starting from third place. Salimata was third, I was second, and Ashley was in first place. After hearing a little speech from Mr. Clarke, we were all handed a beautiful bouquet of flowers and a card with our prize inside. Ashley, Salimata and I posed for pictures. Ashley’s mom gave me a hug and all that went through my head was that, “I did it and I did it all by myself”. I was the happiest person at that time. I didn’t care that I won second place. All I cared about was that I didn't quit. For the first time in my sixteen years of life I was the spotlight; I was important, and no one, I mean no one could take away my shine.

I wrote this article because for a very long time I've gone through many disappointments within my life and when I finally found something that I was good at and went for it,it made me proud and I felt as if no one could take my shine away.