The Day The Magic Died | Teen Ink

The Day The Magic Died

By allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts
allhallowsevekatie PLATINUM, Hampden, Massachusetts

"Believe me nothing is trivial"(The Crow)

Everyone has that best friend at some point in their lives, that friend that helps you through everything. The thing that most people don’t do is imagine them gone. The thing I had to do was just that, I had to see my best friend leave. I knew it was there, that chance…we all did I guess but we never actually thought it would happen. We never thought B would get cancer again and we never thought so soon.
As the first day went bye it was just a normal school day no one noticed anything. Nothing but my classmates and their usual superfluous chatter. No one noticed she was missing no one but C and I, we both knew something was wrong, and I could see it in her eyes. I hurried out of class that day; I grabbed C by the arm, and pulled her into the girls room. There was this awkward silence that I did not know how to break so she did it, and I remember the words exactly but they were just whispers. “She isn’t here!” she said “I know I couldn’t concentrate all day!” Those were not the words I wanted to hear, I just wanted to know she was okay.
B had a checkup that weekend an important one, we knew if she wasn’t at school it was bad news. We called her after school that day, her mom answered “Girls I’m sorry I have some bad news, the cancer is back. This can’t get around school I don’t want people to start sending us gifts or whispering when we walk by, we need this time as a family. Do you girls understand?” “Yes” we answered then we hung up, it was all too scary.
After a while the school got involved explaining what was happening to the kids, starting fundraisers to try to help out, it was nice but it did not lighten the mood. Every day it scarier even though we were there by her side. She had surgery to have it removed but it was all too much. The treatments were not working but it was time to get back to school work, B got a tutor and we went back to school. The student interest flourished people gave gifts and sent cards while we sat in the background.
The following months were tortuous, people coming to give her get well cards, us going to basketball games to try and cheer her up. There was a point where we got to minding ourselves and only visiting on weekends. I never really knew what was going on, it was a busy weekend I was home by myself a lot that weekend, and it was the beginning of summer. I was having a bad day already but I didn’t know why, it was just this funny feeling in the pit of my stomach. My sister and my mom were outside, jumping rope or gardening, it was sunny outside.
I was on my computer checking Facebook when I saw something I recognized, her name. It was next to something my mind wouldn’t let me read, because it had to be a fallacy. It said R.I.P. I was so confused! How come nobody called me? My body froze in place, I could hear my heart thumping, I slowly got up, put my computer down and walked outside in a haze. My mom was bend over a flower bed and my sister was using one of those skip it jump rope things. My mom noticed me and glanced up, then slowly got to her feet, my sister stopped what she was doing. “What’s wrong?!” said my mom I kept walking until I got into a hug, “It’s B” I whispered into my mother’s ear. She immediately froze before her mommy instincts kicked in and she started explaining carefully what had happened to my little sister C, a minute later we got a call from a woman we were in girl scouts with named L, she was crying.
The next few weeks were funereal no one talking, moments of silence, lots of crying, hugging. We had so many memories and we shared them with every one C sung “somewhere over the rainbow” and the service and I helped them release butterflies in the cemetery. It was all beautiful for a beautiful girl and its two weeks I will remember forever.

I loved her, she was my best friend we did every thing together. she stood up for me when I was bullied and I did the same for her, it was horrible when she died but she will always be in my heart.

PrincessClaire BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

don't do me do your hair

That was a very good and moving story. It touched my heart in a way that only the best stories do. Keep up the good work!

this comment almost made me cry thank you so much B will allways be in our hearts :)

Thank you so much for this wonderful comment she will allways be missed :)

laurenevansok SILVER, Bromborough, Other

'One person's "annoying" is another person's "inspiring and heroic"' - Leslie Knope (Parks and Recreation)

Wow! This piece is truly moving and tugs at my heart strings. I cannot even begin to imagine how you feel, such a terrible loss of someone so special. B was lucky to have a friend like you. 

WriteOrWrong BRONZE, Grosse Pointe, Michigan

Sometimes you just need to take a nap and get over it. -Maura Stuard

I am so sorry for your loss, B will always be in your memory. I know how surreal it can feel. There are so many great things about this piece like its authenticity and the way it captures the suddenness. The details make this piece much more tangible. I would suggest rereading the piece because there are quite a few spelling errors and missing punctuation. Also, mate consider adding something about who B was as a person because then the reader will feel closer to her. The ending about the butterflies is beautiful. That is such an amazing way to end the piece. Lovely work, I am truly sorry.

kathleen M. said...
thank you it really means alot.

kathleen M. said...
thank you soo much if you liked this i have some other pieces about her .  

Thank you so much <3 if you thought this one was heartfelt i have a few others about her...

BurrThistle GOLD, Jaipur, Other

Write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

i was crying by the time i finished this article( and no, I am not PMSing) I lost my grandmother to Cancer..... anyway, graet flow to your writing, keep holding on

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

<3 my heart goes out to you and your friend. That is so sad.

MattMattHatter PLATINUM, Bellevue, Washington

"Poetry is thoughts that breathe, and words that burn. "
Thomas Gray

It's incredibly well written. I'm so sorry...

thank you!

angel_of_silence PLATINUM, Cotulla, Texas

“The boy never cried again, and he never forgot what he'd learned: that to love is to destroy, and that to be loved is to be the one destroyed.” -Jace Wayland City of Bones

im sorry for your loss but its still a great piece  

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

Can you feel what I have seen, when no one else has lived through what I have?-HalveOfLife

im so srry i wish i knew what to say... :(

SunnyDreams BRONZE, Niger Falls, Other

luv it keep up the good work