Time Band Aid | Teen Ink

Time Band Aid

By ChrisErson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
ChrisErson BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

It's moment afterwards though, it’s that moment that we take to analyze what had just happened. It’s that moment of pure thought, this conclusion of retrospect that things did work out, and are still working themselves out. The ultimate debriefing realization that time is the band aid for everything.

The barefoot man with the hair down to his butt who looked like a Swedish viking native, continued to give instructions.

“Everyone in the room will be standing still. Your eye will be closed throughout the whole activity. Only one person moves at a time, we will give one person a lit candle, and that candle must be passed to everybody in the room, after you have passed the candle to someone, lay on the floor.”

He did not describe the trust that must be made in order for this to happen successfully, in order for the building to not burn down.

They played calming, wordless music. One by one, the candle would pass from one person to the next scattering across the room. You could feel the dead quiet motion of each person passing the candle.

The music shut off. “Everyone can open there eyes now, but do not move.” Seeing one’s reactions to see how close everyone was laying next to each other in this tight compacted room was stunning, nobody was no more than 4 inches from a body. But when you had your eyes closed you felt alone, independent.

“Since we all trust each other now, we can move to the main activity.” A boy from Iceland that looked identical to ‘Ralphy’ from ‘The Christmas Story’ ripped off two pieces of room length tape.

“This is the starting line, and everyone must stand behind it.” He moved to the other side of the room, “this is the Line that you walk to.”

“This Activity is called ‘Walk the line’, I will ask a question, and if you have done this before, felt this, or agree with any of the questions or statements that I make, walk to the line, and then walk back.”

He started the statement as simple topics, 'who agrees with gay marriage', 'who enjoys the food here', simple questions. It upgraded to "Who is ready to go home right now?" No one answered, not one person walked the line. He asked one that triggered the tears

"Who here misses someone that they've lost."

Heads tipped down as many people slowly walked to the line, the feeling of sorrow swept the room. When they got to the line, they said a blessing for the ones that they missed, and the tears were flowing. The questions continued to intensify, including topics of death and sacrifice, all of which people still agreed with to an extent.

"I'm sorry guys, but I'm out of questions..", silence filled the room, "I wanted to use this debriefing for a moment to talk, talk about how you are feeling, any thoughts about this activity, or just any thoughts about how you, as an individual, are feeling."

We sat and waited, you could see a sudden influence that clicked, this is where everything was allowed to be said, no one will hurt you for saying what you feel. This is a safe place. One by one, each and every person in that room told a memoir. Some were experiences chosen to live, but most were experiences that had no choice but to live through. We all sat, we all talked, and we all listened. It was clear that many stories were 'worse' than others, but that was not near the point. We were all equal in that circle of sorrow, we all felt refreshed as those sad sob stories have been ripped off our chest. It was time to realize that we were all hurt as people, and that now was the time to put band aid over it.

This memoir takes place in Stockholm, Sweden. When I was 15, I traveled with an international traveling group called CISV, a non-profit organization. I went as a representative of the US. This story is describing one of many activities that we did throughout the camp.