Short People Problems | Teen Ink

Short People Problems

By sandra Pastora BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
sandra Pastora BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

Aww you’re so short, it’s adorable standing at about five feet I hear this lot. The truth is it’s not adorable it’s actually annoying. Being short sometimes has its advantages but most of the time it blatantly sucks. Some people might say they’d rather be short than tall but if you know what it’s like to be shorter than most you’d much rather to be tall.

Being short does sometimes have its advantages. One advantage is people will mistake you as being younger and allow you do more stuff. Short people like me can go trick or treating for as long as they want really, unless facial features make them look older but even then they can throw on a mask and they’re good to go and still get a lot of candy. I also really like some of the nicknames my friends have gave me because of my height like, little one and tiny. Another advantage of being short is I get put in the front row for group pictures, so I’m sure to be seen. Lastly one of the few advantages I could think of being short is I could wear high heels without It looking awkward or it causing me to look extremely tall.

Most of the time being short just sucks. A lot of people are short and some may like it but I don’t. I can never reach anything, and I for one hate asking someone to reach something for me, it’s embarrassing. Being short it seems like everyone else is taller than you, especially being around my friends. Most of them being five -five or taller I feel extremely short. Although it bothers me more if someone younger than me is taller and has to look down when talking to me. Another struggle that comes with being short is people call me short or make a comment about my height almost every day. My sister, for example loves to make comments and tease me about my height, whether it’s calling my by what she nicknamed me “shorty”, shocker right? , or saying sarcastic comments like where’s my tallest sister? It doesn’t help that I used to be taller than my twin sister but now she is taller than me, and that’s how some people learn to tell us apart. Most of the time I don’t mind and I laugh it off but it can get really annoying after a while, especially when multiple people do it all at one time like my sisters tend to do.

Although I think its disadvantages outnumber its advantages I guess being short isn’t that bad. Though I would prefer it if I was tall, not extremely tall just around five-five would be okay with me because I do think being too tall could cause be a problem also and have its disadvantages as well .But most of the time I lean towards the attitude of your short, embrace it and try to see the positive side of it.

princessrachel GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware

You have to be willing to sacrifice who you are for what you can become.

You did a great job writing this piece and expressing the way you feel about this subject! We all have insecurities and there is nothing wrong with that. I am four foot ten inches, actually and I am one of the short people that does not really mind. Recently I started wearing heels and I realized I didn't know what I was missing out on, becuase I always thought being tall would be more of an inconvenience. Also, a lot of tall guys love short girls which is a big advantage in my opinion. Anyways, definitely try to focus on the posiitve and advantages, height really is not that big of a deal. I'm sure you are beautiful! Again, great piece and interesting choice of subject!