Birthday | Teen Ink

Birthday

My grandpa knows Steve Blass. If you don’t know who that is then you probably don’t watch many Pittsburgh Pirate games on TV. He is the color-commentator for all of the Pirate’s home games. My grandpa has known him for a good deal of time, so when he asked Steve a favor for my tenth birthday he happily agreed. Thanks to my grandpa I was able to go to a pirate game and have a tour of PNC Park with Steve Blass. We went everywhere, through all the press boxes, the locker rooms, and even on to the field. I was still there a while before the first pitch, so I saw the team warming up. I was standing in the dugout when Steve called over Freddy Sanchez and Garrett Jones. They both introduced themselves to me and took a picture. Soon, it was time to get ready for the game. I didn’t go to the seats though, I went back into the underground part of the stadium to get ready for the highlight of the night. I was going to throw the first pitch before the game. When it was time, me and grandpa walked out onto the field. It had been raining so I had to throw from right next to third base towards home plate. I threw the ball, straight into my grandpa’s glove. After I did that it was time for the game. Our seats were the best in the stadium in my opinion. We were in the first row, right on top of the dugout. The game was a good one. It was close, and went into extra innings, where the pirates beat the giants 2-1 in 14 innings. I even got a foul ball. My tenth birthday was a great one, where I did something very few people will ever do.