True Me: A Memoir | Teen Ink

True Me: A Memoir

By Luis_2388 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Luis_2388 BRONZE, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

"Life is what you make of it, so make is beautiful."

During a person’s life time they get to experience many situations that ultimately become an amazing or horrible memory. Even though I’m only 18 I have experienced my share of memories, good and bad. One that really sticks out for me would have to be when I came out to my parents and family as homosexual. I remember when I came out as if it were yesterday, it was the most nerve racking thing I had to do. I was in sixth grade and was about to make a decision that would change my life. Four days prior to me coming out I was contemplating weather or not, I wanted to say anything to my family or if I should just hold off a little while more.

Part of me felt like it was time to not hide who I truly am, and another part of me felt as though if I were to tell my family they would disown me and I would have no one. I recall receiving advice from my friends at the time; each had really great things to say. “They are your parents, no matter what you say they will always love you.” said my friend Kenysha. “Honestly you can’t keep this a secret any longer, it will just eat you up inside.” said my friend Brianna. All my friends made good points and I took everything they said into consideration, but I couldn't help but still feel conflicted.

As I walked home from school that same day covering my face underneath my scarf from the overwhelming force of wind, I felt my anxiety kicking into full gear. I felt shocked that I was even considering telling my family this; it wasn't like it was something you just casually blurt out. Since it was Friday I had some time to think this over, thank goodness!! Finally Sunday arrived and I had made the decision to just come out and see what happens, better than nothing. As I nervously paced back and forth in the living room I felt my palms become sweaty and my heart beat, as if it were about to burst out my chest like a 3D movie.

I slowly walked up the stairs of my house and entered my bedroom; my mother was already in there connecting my cable box. I started up a normal conversation with my mother. “Hey mom did you get a chance to wash clothes today?” I said nervously. “Yes, and dinner is made so wash up and get ready to eat. She said with a slight smirk on her face. I began to feel so anxious like a kid about to get drilled by a dentist.

“Mom there is something I need to tell you?” I said barely speaking loud enough for her to hear me. Surprisingly she did. “Sure sweetie what is it?” She replied. “Promise you will still love me.” I said with a very quivery tone. “Of course honey, what makes you ask that.” She said caught off guard. “Well, I… I’m… I’M GAY!!” I shouted. I couldn't believe I said that it felt like I had entered a twilight zone. “What did I just do” I said to myself.

We both stared at each other, both in shock to what was just said. She then looked at me with a loving face, smiled and said “Come have a seat.” That I did, as I as we talked and if felt great. She asked questions that I was sort of expecting and wanted her to ask. “Are you sure, when did you discover this, and why say something now?” She asked. I smiled with relief and began to reply to her questions.

Then she hugged me and stepped out of my bedroom, 5 minutes later my father walks in. He sat down next to me, looked at me and started crying. He basically asked the same questions as my mother did. We then hugged it out. My mom walked back in to my bedroom and I had both of my parents in front of me. They looked at each other, looked at me and smiled. “We still love you and always will.” They said calmly.

We hugged and went down stairs to eat dinner. As I ate I thought to myself, wow this was such a positive coming out experience. All in all this was a very good memory. I was able to finally be truthful about who I am with the people who I love and love me. Nothing felt better than that.

This piece of writing really helped me reflect on such a life changing moment that I experienced and how great it was.