Audition | Teen Ink

Audition

April 2, 2014
By Gabbz12 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
Gabbz12 BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When I begin to speak, the auditorium is abruptly hushed. I am the single sweet of this candy shop and everyone wants to see me -just me. But I no longer sense the audience, because now it is just me. Me, myself and I, in the mind of the character.

I can see it now, a bow in my hand, quiet bristling of arrows in my quiver as I prowl the forest. With the ring of birds cry in my ears. Nothing can slow the puff and chuff of my heart, as I am under nonstop suspense. Anyone at any moment could come for me. All eyes on me, inside and outside the green. They are always watching, waiting for the final boom of cannon, my cannon.

The words flow easier than ever before and I can feel myself move with them as if I am there too. But my line ends and with it my dreamlike state.

A pause. Just me. All eyes on me.

The applause explodes and I hear whistles, cheers. Just me. Only for me.

And at last I know.

Y’know how as a short person they ask you at school what you want to be when you grow up? I usually made something up, scientist, artist, Olympic swimmer. Although I could be, I don’t want to.


I’d rather do this.


The author's comments:
This is a practice for effective setting, I did use an actual experience.