The Dad Nobody Wants | Teen Ink

The Dad Nobody Wants

May 10, 2014
By Anonymous

When I was around five or six, we gathered our things from our beach house in Miami, Florida, and moved ourselves halfway across the country to a small town in Missouri. We couldn't afford our beach life anymore, so we came "back to reality", as my mom had stated it. So, of course, I was upset, but I couldn't do anything about it- I was six. Now, once we moved, things were different. My parents started fighting more, and the less my dad would be around my mom and I. I'm pretty sure it broke both of my mom and mine's hearts. One day, we were all sitting in the front yard, barbecuing for a celebration of summer. My dad turns to me and asks, "Would you mind if I left for a few months back to Florida, just to get some money? I'll be back soon." Of course, I knew we were struggling with money from overhearing their arguments, so I agreed and the next morning my dad had left before I had even been able to tell him bye. I was sad, but hey, it was only a few months, right? Wrong. After four months of no calls, no contact with him, we got a letter in the mail that made my mom cry. She wouldn't tell me what it was at the time, but eventually she told me. My dad had filed for divorce, after promising he would come back. My mom went into a stage of depression, which pretty much left her eight year old daughter (me) to take do everything in the house. It wasn't a huge responsibility, but it was enough to get angry at my father for this. I had tried calling him once a day, him never answering. If he called me back, which started to be about twice a year, it was short and not fulfilling. When I got a little older, we started to talk more and I visited him in the summer once. He had gotten worse. He knocked up my poor soon-to-be step mother, twice, AND he abused her. My step-sisters and step-brother don't do anything to stop him, and it breaks my heart. I tried calling the police but every time, my step-mom and dad both plead not guilty. Not to mention I had caught him smoking weed a few times. I'm sure there is more to it, but I only know what I see. I am seventeen now, and my dad is totally out of my life. My dad is the dad that nobody wants, and I would hope nobody had one like I did.


The author's comments:
This is the story of my relationship with my dad, how he walked out on my mom and I, and how he got worse.