Babysitting for Dummies | Teen Ink

Babysitting for Dummies

June 3, 2014
By Claudia Schneider BRONZE, Fox Point, Wisconsin
Claudia Schneider BRONZE, Fox Point, Wisconsin
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

First off, please read this prior to your babysitting job. It’s certainly important to be informed about the necessities of babysitting: dinner making, book reading, and the dreaded diaper changing, etc. But you also should know everything about about a child’s motives. Hopefully this short list of tips will help make babysitting a little easier for both you and the kid(s).

The Basics

1. Evaluating Age: Ask yourself, how old is the child(ren) you are babysitting? 1? 5? 10? Make sure you know what each child needs depending on their age. For example, infants will need to sleep more often and earlier than older children. Toddlers will most likely still need a nap mid-day.

2. Assessing Amounts: How many children you are watching will not only affect the overall rate, but also your responsibility. Young children should be monitored at all times, but often older kids will be allowed to be alone.

3. Calculating Length: Example: The parents might be gone for lunch, a movie, and then plan to shop around town. They hope to leave at around noon (after showing you around), and will be back no later than 6:00 P.M. That’s six hours! Have a basic idea of how long you will be babysitting and what activities you plan to do to pass the time.

While You’re There

1. Keeping Busy: Different activities appeal to different kids at different ages. Pick a few activities you’ll participate in to prevent boredom. The child(ren) will likely report how much fun they had while you were watching them to their parents. This opinion can play a big role in whether you will be hired again. Being active and playing outside is a great way to pass time. Swing on the playset, kick a soccer ball, or make a castle in the sandbox. Just don’t let the kids throw sand in your face!

2. Being Safe: Before you start the job, ask the parents where their bandages and other first-aid items are located. There’s probably no reason to call the parents or another adult if a child slips and scrapes their knee, but in any serious emergency, call either an adult or the police.

3. Cooking Meals: Know what the parents would like for you to prepare. Most meals expected are simple, like mac and cheese or a sandwich. You should also be informed of any allergies or dietary needs of a child.

Wrapping Things Up:

1. Getting Ready for Bed: This is a challenge for many children at a young age. Some are so tired they fall asleep the moment they hit the bed, while others are defiant. If the kid is sad and misses their parents, assure them the sooner they fall asleep the sooner they will see their parents in the morning. Other children like a bedtime story to make themselves tired. Know the specific time at which each child you’re babysitting typically goes to bed. Do not let them convince you that they are allowed to stay up later; always listen to their parents.

2. Cleaning Up: Hopefully you encouraged the child or children you are babysitting to help clean up after any mess they made, from toys to paint to juice. If there are still pots or pans left out from making a meal, be sure to rinse them and put them in the sink. Always leave the house in the same (or even better) condition than you came.

3. Determining Your Rate: If you have babysat before you likely have a specific rate you charge each hour. Rates often vary on the number, age, and overall behavior of kids. For example, babysitting one well-behaved eight year old will not take as much effort as watching three wild toddlers. Most rates range anywhere from three to eighteen dollars per hour, often with another dollar added per child.

In conclusion, remember to be responsible, organized, and fun! An awesome babysitter with all these characteristics is certainly what parents and kids look for.