Adopted Dog | Teen Ink

Adopted Dog

May 30, 2014
By Anonymous

Three years ago, my family adopted a mutt from Mexico who we later named Roxy. She came with many fears, especially of humans, and a tattoo, as well. The tattoo on her stomach is a hot pink, messy-looking flower. I have no idea why someone would ever tattoo a dog, but the even stranger part is that during the time we adopted her, there were several other dogs with tattoos at the same shelter. The foster parents told my family and I that her previous owners abused her, and afterwards she was left abandoned on the streets. When we first went to meet her, she was thin and dirty, and would not let us touch her nor would she make eye contact. Definitely not the ideal dog that we were looking for, yet we took her in, after some initial resistance from my parents. She soon settled in with us and even began to play like a normal puppy. She was taught a few tricks and socialized with other dogs and people. Nevertheless, she still has many unexplained fears such as being petrified of broomsticks, afraid of cockroaches, and sometimes even gets scared by plates. Although she may not be the perfect dog, it is amazing to think how much she has changed. Despite some minor quirks, she is unrecognizable from the mistreated and untrusting dog we rescued three short years ago; it is a true testimony of how strong the power of love can be.


The author's comments:
A nonfictional story about a resccued stray dog with a happy ending.