My Creed | Teen Ink

My Creed

By HIBS04 BRONZE, Glendale, Rhode Island
HIBS04 BRONZE, Glendale, Rhode Island

Adventure, a word that always makes my heart beat like a fervent rock band drum does, is a motto of my life. Since my life has always been nourished with adventures, I would say that I believe that adventure is the best motivator that truly energizes me during any kinds of hardships. However, there was a challenge that I hesitated to face because I did not realize this quality in myself yet. That one event knocked on the door of my mind, but I could not easily greet it with confidence.
Since I was thirteen, I lived apart from my family, friends, and home in order to study abroad in Australia. What prompted this decision was not an enthusiasm for adventure, but a simple curiosity. One day, my host mom Christina told me about a part-time job available in Manly Beach. It was a fast food chain called Hungry Jack’s and was located in the middle of the most crowded part of Manly Beach. Not only overwhelmed by the fact that I would have to deal with myriad half-naked people from the beach, I was also afraid of having a job as an Asian girl in a foreign land. Since people under age eighteen do not get jobs in Korea and my English was imperfect, it was an enormous challenge for me even to try to get a part-time job. However, I grabbed my shaking hands and decided to apply. After nervous and intimidating two days of waiting, the manager of Hungry Jack’s finally called me to an interview. Because he had a very stern voice which made me nervous, I went to bed with so many concerns swimming in my head like hundreds of koi fish dabbling in a small pond. The next day, I dressed up neatly, and arrived at the store fifteen minutes earlier than the appointed time.  As the manager walked toward me, I could hear my heart pumping and beating with a thunderous sound right next to my ears. It was almost like my heart was teasing me to get more nervous and hoping for my failure. However, as the time went by, I gained confidence and successfully answered all the questions. After hearing the manager say “Ok, see you tomorrow,” all my concerns and insecurities melted down like a snowman on the California beach. Suddenly, something sparked inside of my heart and the passion and enthusiasm started to burst like fire. It was the excitement that I got from starting a new adventure!
Even now, I am still adventuring. I am not in Australia anymore, but in America to face new challenges with more ambitions than most young people my age. I know that there will be some other obstacles that will try to thwart me. Nevertheless, I am not afraid at all because I know that they only will heat up my fervor until it reaches the hottest point. My creed became the most important part of me and graced my everyday life with gifts. The most meaningful gain from my creed- to challenge new things without fear- is that now I am able to truly enjoy my life even though hardships may block my way. Adventure is my best and the most creative partner, and I am not going to lose him.