Texas Tornado | Teen Ink

Texas Tornado

By SophyW BRONZE, Royal Oak, Michigan
SophyW BRONZE, Royal Oak, Michigan

I thought it was going to be a normal week, but boy was I in for a surprise… when I flew alone to Dallas, Texas, in 2012, to met up with my grandparents. I went to their house, and then the next day, tornado warnings were all over the news. I remember it like it was yesterday, I was twelve years old, wearing tan shorts, a chief’s sweatshirt and polka dot socks with my hair in a bun.
                My cousin, Sean, who I normally hang out with when I’m there, was at school; they, of course, had a tornado drill. Next thing we know, we’re surrounded by four tornados! Keep in mind, I have never been in a tornado before and I was without my parents! This was probably one of the scariest moments of my life. My grandma, my grandpa, and I were crowded around the TV. I, in shock, said, “What… what is happening..?” Right after the news reporter said what happened. My grandpa just whispers, “Four tornados, right around us...” After that, my grandma shouts, “Oh! I hope Sean is okay!”
                Finally, everything died down. People got quieter and so did the wind. Later that day, when it was safe, my grandpa and I picked up Sean from school. I started bombarding him with questions, “How was it? Is everyone okay? What happened?” Sean replies, “We’re all okay, but the building across from us isn’t! Their roof is gone!”
                Schools were closed for the week. If you looked around, you would see fallen trees, horrible weather, ugly skies, broken and torn up buildings, and garbage all around. Everything was wrecked. Good thing is, Sean got to stay over longer!
Five days later, it was time for me to go home. By the time I left Dallas, Texas and flew back to Detroit, Michigan everything was basically back to normal. I got off the plane and my parents were like an explosion of questions! Once I told them everything was okay and no one was hurt, they were relaxed finally and asked how my trip was. When I think about that vacation it reminds me of how I became more independent and I learned to stay calm in scary events. My trip to Texas was definitely something unforgettable.