My Story | Teen Ink

My Story

October 28, 2014
By MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
MonicaCruz GOLD, Wilmington, Delaware
14 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Traveling to another country where you know no one can be very challenging and frustrating. It’s ever worst if you don’t know the language. I had the opportunity to learn English and meet new people. I admit I was very ignorant and didn’t know much about the world. For instance, I didn’t know that there were black people. I had though that everyone was white like me and that everyone spoke Spanish. But I was completely wrong.  When I came to the United States I realized that this world wasn’t full of people similar to me. I learned that there is much more. 

 

Coming here made me less ignorant. But at what cost?

It was very challenging for me to get used to the language and the way people lived.  I had trouble in school because I barely received help from my teachers. The students didn’t help me either.  I would cry myself to sleep for almost one year. All I wanted to do was to go back to Mexico because I just couldn’t deal with things anymore.  I would tell my parents, “Quiero regresar a Mexico.” (I want to go back to Mexico). That was because many students would make fun of me because I couldn’t pronounce the words. On my first day of school, while entering the classroom, Mr. Erickson asked me, “What’s your name?” Very quietly and shy I replied, “Yes.”  The classroom filled up with laugher. I was confused but soon I understood. It was difficult for me to get used to the accent. Whenever I wanted to ask or say something in English the students would start laughing and making fun of me. I hated school so bad. I didn’t wanted to go to school due to that.  Despite everything, I managed how to speak it.

Throughout the years I started to improve. My writing skills increased, my pronunciation was clearer, and my grades got better. I felt so proud of myself and of what I had accomplished. My ignorance decreased by a lot. I thank my parents for the new and great opportunity they gave me. Coming here made me a better person because now I know much more. It’s difficult at the beginning of the journey but throughout time you see how things will get better sooner or later. I didn’t give up; instead I kept on trying for my parents and for me.  Even though I suffered a lot and I felt miserable I managed how to keep my head high. I wouldn’t change anything that happened to me because I believe that everything happens for a reason. Thanks to everything I’m standing where I am. I surpassed all the obstacles. I am proud to say that I love who I am.