Golfing Blind | Teen Ink

Golfing Blind

By Andrew niles BRONZE, Camas, Washington
Andrew niles BRONZE, Camas, Washington

When it comes to the people who do something completely stupid without being aware of what's around you and later wishing that you were just smart enough to pay attention? a ball flying towards a house while attempting to go golfing will explain why you should pay attention to the things around you.

On a summer day I was at my mom’s house. It was a little blue house with a big yard that came with crazy memories.

A clear example of this would be the time my brother and I shook a Pepsi bottle and threw it on the ground. Aaron was brown haired with greenish brown eyes and loved danger.

I said, “Be careful.”
         “Ok,” Aaron said.
         “Run”

By then the bottle hit the ground and a loud BANG! that could be heard from around the block. The bottle shot clear across the street, the cap slamming the closest car almost sounding the alarm. But the story I’m getting to is a story that involves a classic game called golf!

On a mid summer day that was hotter than my brother and I were bored at are moms house and then this awesome idea came to mind.

“ I said Let’s go golfing.”
         and aaron says “lets do it… but where?”

I thought for a little while, and decided Aaron was right. Where were we gonna golf? Because there’s no golf course near by, and that’s when my mom suggested,  “Go to the school.”

Our mom had brown hair and blue eyes and was the over-reacting type.

So we wondered why she said something like that, ‘cause normally she would think that was the worst idea ever, but I said,“Ok lets go.”

So we head down to the school which was a brick building with a long vertical yard.

So I thought, there’s no need to worry about the surrounding houses along with the busy semi-highway street.
Five minutes passed by and things were going smoothly, which boosted my confidence thinking this was a good idea, then Aaron yelled, “Ready for this one?”

Barely able to hear him I said,“Yea, go for it.”
Next thing I know, I hear a smack, and a swoosh, then I realized the ball going over the chain linked fence and heading across the street towards the house behind me. I crossed my fingers, frozen it place, as if the whole world was in slow motion. Then it slammed the curb across the street by some miracle and ricocheted up over the fence and into the schoolyard. Standing in amazement, I breathed a sigh of relief though my heart was beating  a million miles per hour. We immediately decided to go home, hoping no one saw what just happened.
So we got home and our mom asked us, “So, how was golfing?”

I wondered if I should tell her what just happened, but, knowing that we really didn't do much made it easy to tell her.

“Oh we just almost smashed a house window. No big deal really,” I said, trying to hide the nervous pitch in my voice.
“WHAT?”

By now I was getting even more nervous, but then my mom said, “Just be more careful next time.”

So the lesson to this story to the people who are not aware of the things around them and next time you think something that sounds safe makes it safe: apply some thinking to it and be more aware of what's around you or you might end up actually causing some serious damage. practice this by focusing on the daily things like where you walk or whether you tie your shoes.

past experences