Not Always Obvious | Teen Ink

Not Always Obvious

By Alli.Cat BRONZE, Middleton, Idaho
Alli.Cat BRONZE, Middleton, Idaho

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" Mark Twain

You look around the class at all the students. Everyone seems the same. Happy with their lives. But then you actually look around at them. You pay attention their movements, their reaction to things. Its not all the same anymore. Some people actually seem happy, but then you keep looking. If you’re sad, you notice when other people are sad. They have some of the same characteristics. Long sleeves, long faces, long days. It takes time and practice to notice the sad people. Sometimes its easier to spot than other. It can be the quiet boy in the corner just waiting for the bell to ring so they can get out of here. It can be the loud girl by the door making all of her friends laugh. Because if her friends are laughing then they feel like they did something right for once. They get their friend to make that goofy smile they love looking at so much even though their friend hates it more than anything. By laughing with their friends they can hide their emotions. They just want to bury everything deep down and hope it all goes away. It works for a little bit, then it all catches up to them. They fall harder than ever. They seem fine at school that day. Maybe even happy. But when they are alone in their room at 2:00am, it all catches up. Everything little thing anybody has ever said to them hits all at once. The quiet boy in the corner get’s called worthless as he walks down the hall. The loud girl by the door get’s called a sl*t and b**** by her own friends. A part of her know’s they’re joking, but when she’s alone all she knows is that they call her those things. Nobody notices that the quiet boy in the corner doesn’t come to school the next day. Some people notice the loud girl by the door but they just think its nice she’s gone for once. People always say they will be there for them, but when they actually need someone they aren't.
You look around the class at all the students.
Except the quiet boy from the corner, and loud girl by the door.