How to Overcome Your Fears | Teen Ink

How to Overcome Your Fears

By BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida
BoobooBeetle DIAMOND, Jacksonville, Florida

“A good novel tells us the truth about its hero; but a bad novel tells us the truth about its author.”
G.K. Chesterton

"And you, you ridiculous people, you expect me to help you."
Denis Johnson

Do you have a fear that prevents you from doing what you truly love, or a fear that makes you feel isolated from the world? Well, you not alone. There are many people who have fears that can be very challenging to overcome, but don’t give up because you can overcome it, though you don’t have to overcome the fear all at once, just a little bit at a time.

If you’re fear is public speaking, you don’t have to talk to the entire world, just a small group of people. By doing this, it makes you feel more confident in yourself. One tip that you could do is write down on a piece of paper what your biggest fear is, something that you want to overcome the most, and make a list of three small steps you think you can DEFINITLY do to overcome that fear. Choose one and do it the very next day.

If an opportunity comes up to face your fear, don’t disregard it, go for it. It may be difficult, but tell yourself that you’re not going to say no. You may be scared of something that most likely may never happen, or something that will defiantly happen, when you have a fear like this, the best advice I can give you is to talk to someone you trust about it. They can comfort you in ways this article just can’t.

If your fear is failure, failure of not being the best, it’s not the end of the world. Everyone, I mean everyone, will make mistakes and just because you make a mistake, doesn’t mean you’re a failure.

Most people are very shy which might prevent you from doing what you love. I can speak from experience, if you are very shy, go up to someone and just introduce yourself. You might find out that they may become your best friend because he or she may have the same interests as you. The next step to overcoming this fear, is feeling confident in yourself and say, what’s the worst that could happen?

You may have multiple fears that prevent you from doing what you love, find someone who may have those same fears and overcome your fears with them. Everything is better when you do something with someone else.

Always know that nothing is impossible. All it takes to overcome your fears really is just having the courage to do so. If you make your mind up that you will overcome your fear, even if it’s not all at once, you can do it!

My biggest fear to be honest is shyness and the feeling that I'm not good enough, that I'll never be good enough. However, I know that these things aren't true. Always believe in yourself, don't let little things make your life such a pain. Because I know, from experience, that sometimes these fears can make it to where it really does hurt to even breathe. Just know that your life is your life, you own it, no one or thing does.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

Thank you for writing this piece; I think it can speak to many of us in different ways. I am actually planning to have a serious conversation with someone I know this weekend, at the request of our good mutual friend, about his confidence in himself and the way it affects his relationships with other people. I will take some of the ideas here to heart as I give him advice. By the way, this article reminded me of two things. (1) The Audrey Hepburn quote "Nothing is impossible. The word itself states 'I'm possible.' " (2) Look up Anna Clendening's America's Got Talent audition with the song "Hallelujah." Her story is inspirational.

CaseyChickenWang SILVER, McDonough,

"No one likes half-jinglers! Jingle all the way!" - Shelley McNeight
"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate." - GSUMUN

I like how you use personal voice here. It's very encouraging and uplifting. The only constructive advcice I have is to maybe fancy up your writing with colorful vocabulary, metaphoris, and other literary devices. Other than that, everything looks great!

rosevomit BRONZE, Cornish, Utah

"Marijuana is bad." -Adults

Sorry, I don't have any constructive criticism. I think it's great how it is.

ansem_unlimited PLATINUM, Frederick, Maryland

Thou may think of me as desired, to idolize or villanize me whichever you may choose. but gaze upon me and thou sall not see the husk of a man! for all my sins and all my bliss, i am anything but hollow
-Ansem_Unlimited

I like it. it delves fairly deep into the emotion of fear. I like how you reach out to the reader, which is always good, & once again I love the non-fiction essay format. It's enlightening & informative