Reading Harry Potter | Teen Ink

Reading Harry Potter

March 4, 2015
By Trevin Miller BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
Trevin Miller BRONZE, Defiance, Ohio
3 articles 0 photos 2 comments

I went into the school library looking for a new book.  I didn’t know which book to pick out.  Then I found a book that looked great to read: the first book in the Harry Potter series.  I never read it before, so I decided to start reading the series.  After I checked out the book, I went back to the table to start reading it.  I thought, ‘Ok it’s starting off boring, but I guess I can still read this.’  When I started the book, I had been so confused about what had been going on.  Then the book started to get better after I read more into it.  I read the book every free time I had-- when we had little time left at the end of classes, in the hallways, in the car, and even at home.  People could always see me walking and reading every day.  I would get away from everyone just to be alone to read the book. 
Once at lunch I took the book to read it outside at recess.  I found a good spot to sit and read.  When reading my book, a kid came up and asked, “Why are sitting there reading?”  That kid might have thought it weird to see someone reading a book outside instead of playing.  The kid probably thought I had been as crazy as a mental patient.  It had been a little hard reading outside with the wind blowing the pages or the light of the sunny sky in the way, so I started going to lunch detention to read.  I asked the teacher in charge if I could go there to read during recess.  The teacher said, “Yes,” so I went to lunch detention every day to read the book.  I just loved the Harry Potter books.  I imagined the scenes and wondered what it would be like there in the wizard world.  I could just see the big Hogwarts school, smell the fresh air, and hear all voices of the students all around. 
After I finished the first book, I was so excited to start the next one in the series.  I had been filled with joy to read about Harry back at Hogwarts, and I was happy for him that he was out of his aunt and uncle’s house.  I liked reading the books because as I read I could escape the real world and enter the world of the Harry Potter books.  During lunch detention while I read, I enjoyed the peace and quite of the room.  As I finished the second book, the next ones were longer and longer.  With each Harry Potter book, I liked the series more and more. 
Finally, I was to the last book in the series.  I had been at about the last chapters and the library wanted the books back for the end of the school year.  I asked the librarian, “May I keep the book for another day or two, so I can finish it?”  She said, “Yes.”  I was so happy I could just run home to read it.  I went home to try to finish the book.  I didn’t get it finished, but I made it to the last chapter. 
At the end of the lunch detention, I sat there in the library and read quickly because I only had the last couple pages to read, and I just had to finish it.  Not completely certain that I could finish the whole book, I tried.  After I finally finished the book, the ending excited me, but I also felt disappointed that the series was finished; and there was no more to read.