"Are you gay?" | Teen Ink

"Are you gay?"

By TheGreatGizmo SILVER, Haartland, Wisconsin
TheGreatGizmo SILVER, Haartland, Wisconsin

"Any pizza can be a personal pizza if you believe in yourself."

As I sat at my table in art class, I found myself unable to enjoy myself. It was my favorite class, I was surrounded by my best friends, and everyone was super friendly...well, mostly everyone. There was this girl who was a mean character--her idea of fun was harassing my table-mates.
“Are you gay?” she asked. 
“Yes.”
Her face contorted into disgust. “You know how wrong that is?”
“No, it’s just that I prefer guys over gals. There isn’t--”
“You know you’re gonna go to hell for that, right?” This pissed me off. How dare she stand there with a smug look on her face? Ever since the class started, this disgusting excuse for a human being annoyed me by running her mouth. I finally snapped. 
“Why don’t you leave him alone?” I said sharply.
The bully’s eyes landed on me, filling with a sick look of playfulness.
“I’m just saying...”
“Respect his opinion,” I shot back.
“Why don’t you respect mine?” 
The boy next to me was silent, along with the rest of the class.
She leaned over to me, trying to convince me gay people can’t have valid opinions. I listened for a couple seconds before I became tired of her rant.
“Just go away,” I demanded.  She looked offended, but I didn’t care.
She finally took her seat.
I noticed the boy who sat next to me was looking down, and his body was tense.  I asked him if he was okay, worried I offended him.
“No.”  He looked up at me after a long pause, with wet eyes. “I just never had anyone do that for me before.”
We hugged and spent the rest of the time making small talk. We talked about what he was planning on doing over the summer, movies, and videogames.  All the while, he had the  biggest smile on his face that I’ve ever seen.

TimR. PLATINUM said...
TimR. PLATINUM, Allentown, New York
I know how it feels to be in his position......thank you so much! Not many people will do that for others.....its a sickening world we live in, isn't it?