Light at the End of the Tunnel | Teen Ink

Light at the End of the Tunnel

By haleymay15 BRONZE, Hebron, Kentucky
haleymay15 BRONZE, Hebron, Kentucky

I could never say that I have a bad life, because the fact is I don’t. My life to some people looks like a fairy tale. Something that they could only wish that they had, to them it opens with a once upon a time and closes with a happy ending. If you take five minutes to sit down and have a conversation with a person you normally wouldn’t you could find somethings out about yourself that you never knew before. Like how your parents are happily married while 60% of the people in your class have parents that can’t even be in the same room together, or how you’re complaining about getting screamed at by your mom while that quiet kid in the corner only wishes he still had his mom to scream at him. If you just took five minutes to have a deep meaningful conversation with someone. You may realize that this life you’ve been complaining about looks like heaven to some.

One thing I have always believed is that life gets better. If you squint your eyes and concentrate really hard you can see that light at the end of this pitch black tunnel. Although some people I have talked about this topic with tell me that they believe their light has gone out , or it’s too far away to see anymore. My best friend told me this one night while we were having our annual talk about life. A little back round. Her father passed away last fall unexpectantly. I was with her when she found out. She spent six months crying herself to sleep every night until the day that she just went numb.

“I lost my best friend, the one that always believed in me and I didn’t even get to say goodbye” she would say.

But the only words that I was capable to form were “it will get easier.”

Of course she didn’t believe me.

A couple of days ago she called me with excitement in her voice something I hadn’t heard in over a year.
“Everything is going to be okay I know it” She screamed from her side of the phone.

The words I told you so formed in my head but a smile formed on my face and I knew I couldn’t ruin her happy mood.

“How do you know this?” I asked curiously.

“For the first time in a year I celebrated his life rather than grieve over his death.”

That light that she said went out, the one sitting there at the end of the tunnel. It came back into view for her. She saw something she hadn’t seen in such a long time that even she herself couldn’t fathom it. In life you have except the bad things that happen and embrace them. Turn them into something better, look at it from a different perspective, or just simply think outside the box. At the end of the day someone has it worse than you. So don’t go through life thinking that someone or something owes you, because the truth is, they don’t.

My best friend went threw a tramatic excperience. No one should ever have to loose their father so young. I was there with her threw it all and it was not only painful for her, but it was also painful to sit back and watch someone you care so much about be so upset and not be able to do anything to help.