Once Upon a Time, There Was a Girl | Teen Ink

Once Upon a Time, There Was a Girl

By muzical_writer BRONZE, Franklin, New Hampshire
muzical_writer BRONZE, Franklin, New Hampshire

"Everybody can speak the language of music. I know it sounds really corny and cheesy but music is a language that everybody speaks." ~ David Desrosiers, Simple Plan~

Once upon a time, there was a girl who could do something that nobody else could. She could see the monsters that her peers ignored. The monsters were terrible, hideous, blemishes on the face of society, creatures whose names were common words like Cruelty and Bullying, and they were led by the darkest one of them all, the horrid king of the deepest of evils, Injustice.

When the girl spoke of the monsters, her peers looked at her strangely, or told her that she was crazy. When she insisted that somebody combat thier invisible foes, they said that she was too aggressive, too mean, even, and that there were no problems in their world.

So the girl, disgusted by their cowardice, took up her sword and pulled on her armor, and walked alone onto the battlefield. Injustice was waiting for her, and when she came into its sight, it laughed; for her sword was a pencil and her armor was her confidence. She used her pencil to write the words that would inform the rest of the world of the terrible threat, and her confidence would prevent Injustice's ally Self-Doubt from crushing her.

But there wasn't just a single battle. There was a war that was yet to be fought, a war that would shape the rest of the world, a change that the girl wanted to lead with her words and her bravery.

No matter what her peers had to say about it.