Educator of the Year | Teen Ink

Educator of the Year

October 6, 2015
By Anonymous

Last year, I was not doing well in school. I lost hope and I had no motivation to finish the school year. But here was one person who gave me motivation. This person was my case manager, Mr. Logue. He gives special help to slower learners. His job is to help watch the grades of the kids he is assigned to.  He watches these kids to make sure they are doing alright in their classes. And I feel lucky, I got him as my case manager. 

Mr. Logue is a short, Italian man, who can be strict, but also hilarious. He is definitely the get-it-done kind of person. I have to say, I've never seen anyone do a better job at case management. Case Management is when you are a part of the IEP (individual Education Plan) system which is for kids who struggle. Case managers give extra help to the kids who need it.


With Mr. Logue, failure is not an option. I was not doing well in my classes and Mr. Logue helped me get my late work turned in and he helped me with my study skills.


I was able to boost my grades by the end of the year thanks to him. All of the responsibility he taught me will stick with me for the rest of my life. He taught me that there are going to be things we don't understand but we still have to go with it to get things done.


I remember telling him about a class I was struggling with and I remember Mr. Logue saying, “Hey, I know that this isn't your kind of class. Everyone has a subject that they do poorly in. I know I did, but you need to try the best that you can do, even if you don't understand it.”


Mr. Logue told me he wasn't the most brainiest guy when he was in high school. This made me feel more relaxed (like I wasn't the only kid who struggles in school). This motivated me through the rest of the year.
Mr. Logue deserves so much more credit than he is given. I've seen him help other students who had trouble understanding their material and focusing in class. And what makes Mr. Logue so helpful is how strict he is to get the job done. He wasn't strict, I wouldn’t have done as well as I did. I’ve also seen him stressed out from disrespect from a student he was only trying to help. But Mr. Logue did not let him walk away without the help they needed.


Mr. Logue will help no matter what the situation is. I haven't had a more helpful case manager in my life. He influenced me to keep motivated. This is why I want to nominate Mr. Logue for the Educator of the year. He was the best help I've ever had from anyone in school. Thank you, Mr. Logue, for giving me the hope I needed to finish off sophomore year.


The author's comments:

Its for my teacher who has always been there.