My First Soccer Game | Teen Ink

My First Soccer Game

By Nrgeticgrl34 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Nrgeticgrl34 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened"

Cooperation is an important part in everyday life. People need to be able to work together for the simplest of things. I learned that lesson many years ago. By working together, a small group of people can accomplish the greatest of tasks.

When I was about six years old, I was on a soccer team. I was usually on defense during practice and it was pretty easy. I was confident that we would do well.

Unknowingly, one of our members had gotten sick. So when the game was about to start, we had to switch positions. I became part of the offence.

The game started at a good pace, no one had the advantage. We were still pretty sure of ourselves. The spectators were yelling encouragement to their respective kids. The smell of freshly cooked food wafted onto the field. I could hear my teammates breathing hard. A cool breeze spread out through the area. An excitement could be felt In every person's body.

During halftime, we were able to get a drink. The nice cool liquid helped get my energy back up to scratch. After my drink, my head cleared some and I was able to concentrate more.

When the second half started things were still very close. When my team got a goal, the other team got one too. It was extremely hard trying to pull ahead of the other players.

I was one of the slower members of my team. I never really had the ball the entire game. In my mind though, I was determined to score at least one goal.

While we were running around the field, one of my teammates tripped. We had to stop the game while his injury was looked over. As this was happening, I remember being worried. I didn't want anyone to get hurt.

When he was cleared, the game started again. All of us were rushing around after the soccer ball, hoping to keep it away from the other team.

Throughout the whole game, people were acting as individuals instead of a team. When someone received the ball, they kept it for as long as they could. We all wanted the glory of the final goal.

As we were running around, we could hear the wind whistling in our ears. We could feel the adrenaline rush of the final minutes. The game was almost over. We were almost out of time. I had the ball.

I had never had the ball before. I was always behind everyone else. I wanted to run that ball all the way down. The field and score the final goal. I almost did too.

I was almost all the way to the goal when I was surrounded by the opposing players. I had no openings. I couldn't go anywhere. I didn't see anyway out of this. Anyway out for me that is.

Looking around I saw my teammate. The one that had gotten hurt earlier. I looked at them. I had a clear shot and they did too. I decided right there I didn't care about the goal. I just wanted to win.

Doing my best at aiming, I looked my teammate right in the eye. I pulled back my leg and kicked.

The ball went flying towards the boy and he instantly ran down the field to the opposing goal. When he got there, he kicked the ball.

Everyone waited with baited breath as the ball went rolling past the goalie and into the net.

We won.

That day I realized that I didn't always have to be the big shot. Sometimes it's just best to work with others for a team win.

My experiance with my first soccer game (obviously, the title says so). It's the story of how I learned teamwork is important.