Performer | Teen Ink

Performer

The feeling is indescribable, I walk out on stage and feel this surge of energy sweep over my body and I have never felt more alive. I am so focused on my lines and counts that I forget to breath, but I can’t even tell. I feel like I’m a new person, who is not shy or afraid of what people think. This is who I am meant to be in this world. I dance, sing, and act; I’m a performer.

As a young child, I was convinced that I could fly and that magic was real. I would run as fast as I could through the house and then crash land on the couch. At family parties, I would get dressed up with what usually consisted of a high heels, sparkly skirt, shiny microphone, and don’t forget the second skirt on my head. I would have my dad turn on music,  whatever kind, four year old Lydia wasn’t picky, and walk down the stairs singing. As if it was planned, the moment I hit the floor, I would break out into a dance that would make my family cheer and clap ( there’s video to prove it). I must have nagged my mom enough, because  that fall I was signed up for ballet and tap with my best friend Hannah. “Catch a Falling Star” is still engraved in my brain today.

After the winter show, I stopped and tried soccer and various other sports, but I still had this urge to perform. I love making people happy and seeing my family and friends so happy when I was dancing, made me love it even more. So, after years of theater I decided to try dance again, not just for dance, but to get some more skills for theater. Flash Forward five years and I’m in nine dances, assisting teaching a dance class, and just got my first pair of pointe shoes.

Performing for my family helped shape me into who I am today and who I hope to be in the future. I Will forever be thankful for the motivation and encouragement I have gotten from my family and friends over the years. Without these memories, who knows who I would be today.