Death Is Strange | Teen Ink

Death Is Strange

By helen_ikonic GOLD, Toronto, Ontario
helen_ikonic GOLD, Toronto, Ontario

"Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose." -Bill Gates

"Don't let anyone ever make you feel like you don't deserve what you want. Go for it." -10 Things I Hate About You (1999)

There are no words that can make up for the loss of a human life - only a eulogy could come close. The first half of the year 2016 has already started off with waving goodbye to famous figures, such as Prince, Alan Rickman, René Angélil and David Bowie.

Although understandable, it’s crazy how much losing a loved one can affect a human being, to the point of being driven insane. It’s even worse to experience it firsthand.

I’m not insane, but I definitely felt tormented this past Christmas. Ironically, Christmas is a time of feasting, joy, and celebration. Gift-giving is also a plus.

However, you could find absolutely no holiday cheer in the air as my family and I stood around my grandmother’s body, laying on the hospital bed, ready to be wheeled to the morgue.

To be honest, it was my first time witnessing and experiencing a death in the family. And although I have dated before, I had my first genuine heartbreak in December of 2015. It was, in fact, the first time I had seen my father cry. I didn’t know what to say or what to do. All I could do was stand there, in respect for my grandmother. And as I kept having thoughts running through my mind, I realized that he had just lost his mother.

Although I have had ups and downs with both my parents, I think we have all gotten closer and thereby forged stronger relationships with each other. And I don’t know what I would do if I lost either of them.

The word ‘mother’ stirs up a spectrum of emotions in many individuals, such as myself. My mother and I used to have many arguments, many times a day. But as we both age, we argue less and less, and become each other’s support system. Since immortality has not been achieved yet by scientists, death is always a possibility at any point in our lives. Therefore, I know that both my mother and I will eventually die. However, it is highly likely that parents outlive their children.

I don’t want to imagine a world without my mom. I did once, and I immediately had tears spewing out from my eyes. Though an inevitable event, it just proves how much we all need to treasure those around us.

Circling back to my father, it took both of us awhile to head back to our normal lives. Since I’m an only child, he is the only male figure in our household; he was trying so hard to stay strong on the oustide, for us. But, I could see him struggling with reality and coming to terms with how one of the most precious figures in his life had physically vanished in front of his eyes.

But life goes on. Life doesn’t wait for anyone. And ultimately, losing a loved one helps us grow through life, no matter how old we are.

You'll always be in our hearts, Grandma. Thank you for watching over our family for all these years.

pineappler03 SILVER, Waterford, Connecticut
The level of maturity your words bring out in your work is truly inspirational. Your writing is amazing, and I am totally awed by how you finished off the story. Thank you for opening up my eyes. :)