How To Fly/Don't Give Up | Teen Ink

How To Fly/Don't Give Up

May 25, 2016
By futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York
futurista12 ELITE, Far Rockaway, New York
615 articles 1 photo 114 comments

Favorite Quote:
"And though she be but little, she is fierce."- Shakespeare


You can't give up. You can't give up because there are a million kids looking up at you like you are carrying a lifetime supply of candy, looking up to you like you're a superhero or a superstar or a power ranger, and that's why I can't give up. I am somebody's power ranger. I was born for a reason, despite what others may think or perceive, I am here for a reason. I am here because I have a whole lot to say, and my words have the power to ignite and take flame, to light up big enough, bright enough to show someone else that there is another way. You can choose to be defeated or you can choose to use your pain to teach those coming behind you that they can fly. I learned that I have wings, and strength enough to lift them- that I can fly. I was taught that flying doesn't begin with magically rising up off the ground. Flying begins with one, two, three fairy-like, china doll steps through which you will realize that the grace, agility, strength, and poise that will enable your flight can be learned by dancing. And even after you lift those precious, pretty wings and take off into that everlasting, higher ground that is the sky, you won't stop dancing. You have a baton in your hand. Because you have been granted the opportunity to find your wings, you have been given the strength to lift your wings, you have been gifted with the people who taught you how to use your wings- because everybody has wings, but not everybody gets the chance to use them, not everybody has the eyes to see them, not everybody learns how to use them, but you do, you can, you have. And because of that, it's now your job to teach somebody else how to one, two, three step, how to pirouette and perform a plie, how to lift off into the golden rays, into the blue, how to fly. And that's why I can't give up. I have the baton in hand.

So, Ella, it's not as easy as it sounds, seems, or even may look, and sometimes, the only place you really want to be is the one place you can't be, and in your heart you may feel all types of unhappy, and sometimes you'll think you don't have enough strength inside to succeed, but trust me, you'll soon find, you have all the strength you need. And you're gonna need ballet slippers cuz you're gonna dance. You're gonna one, two, three step and arabesque and assemble. You'll twirl across the stages of the world, multi-colored ribbons flying through the air, glitter and fairy dust sprinkling from your hair. And one day you'll leap up and grab onto the sky. It may take you by surprise, but your wings already knew you were ready to fly. You can fly through a tornado, hurricane, storm, you can fly in and through the wind. You can fly out of any painful situation you may find yourself in.

And, Skye, from very young, you've already learned that life can be tough. Yes, it can be fun, but it's not a party or a game, so you'd better gear up. Helmet, knee pads, a guard on your heart... And you're gonna need a leotard cuz you're gonna dance. You're gonna one, two, three step and giggle as you go.You're gonna whirl and spin, and all the beauty reflected outside will not compare to what you hold within. You've been some hard places and there will be more, but you're stronger than rock so I already know that you'll rise up from the ruins and embrace the skies, take on the world with your eyes open wide. You've never been too afraid, and that's how I know, you'll allow your wings to carry you wherever you're destined to go.

And, Sierra, you've been dancing for most of your years. The one, two, three step could have been your first, your baby steps. You learned how to dance, to rebound, to get up when you fall. You're way ahead, but you don't even know how special- how amazing- you really are. So you're gonna need a tutu cuz this is your dance. The spotlights are on, the stage is all yours, the audience is waiting to be blown away, the world is watching, and I'm here, waiting to see you lift off and triumph over whatever comes your way. I can't wait to see you and your wings take off into flight. You're gonna blind the universe with all of your love, luster, and light.

So Ella, Skye Bella, and Sierra, this is for you. This is for you and for all the little girls out there who are so strong and so sweet and so smart, but are in situations they cannot control. This is for all the little girls who want to close their eyes every night and fall asleep in a safe and loving home, for all the little girls who give me a reason to go on. I hope you never give up. You have so much strength within you, and I want you to fight. It takes courage to dance, it takes strength and resilience to rise up and fly, and I want you to know that it's okay to cry. Tears are not weak. Tears are so, so strong. For all the little girls who think they have to make it on their own... You don't. You are not alone.

And my dance is not over, I still remember the one, two, three steps. To show by example, not just teach and tell, to lead by my steps, to keep on flying and to watch you pass this baton on to somebody else. 


The author's comments:

This piece was inspired by many people. It's dedicated to my little sisters, and to all the little girls out there who are going through a struggle. I hope you never give up.