Journal Excerpt #1 | Teen Ink

Journal Excerpt #1

By pennyloafers BRONZE, Somewhere, California
pennyloafers BRONZE, Somewhere, California

(Originally written in Summer 2016)

The following excerpt was written with the purpose of answering this prompt:

Discuss your habits as a reader: what, where, when, how, or why you don't read much. Do you have a favorite book?

Today, I would say that I'm not at all the type of person who would pick up and read a book in my spare time. However, when I was younger, I would've said the opposite, that reading was a fairly prevalent hobby of mine, and enjoyed a lot of the literature that were common for children and pre-teens to read (Harry Potter series, R.L Stine writings, etc.). But now as an upcoming senior in high school who has grown up and have gotten more and more accustomed to using the Internet, a service that makes information easy to acces and instantaneous, I've gotten more impatient as a reader. I remember reading the novel Holes and not moving on to the next page until I was sure that I got every aspect depicted before moving on. I also couldn't start a book unless I know I can invest a significant amount of time in the first sitting. Nowadays, I more or less skim a lot of part that I deem unnecesary, which maybe useful for getting evidence for papers, but in terms of trying to enjoy more conventional novels, it's a habit I find very frustrating. To answer the inquiry what my favorite book is, I already mentioned Holes by Louis Sacher and remembered loving it, but it was such a while ago, so I may have different feelings on it. Novels I was required to read in school like the Lord of the Flies, The Great Gatsby, and Huck Finn are great too, but I don't enjoy them all that much on a more personal level. But i do think that there are books that I think are very interesting and could get a lot out of, such as Animal Farm and a majority of Kurt Vonnegut novels that could not only teach me something important, but improve my writing as well. It's just a matter of getting those old habits back and devoting that could be spent reading.