My First and ONLY F in English | Teen Ink

My First and ONLY F in English

By LJones1 PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
LJones1 PLATINUM, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

When you rise in the morning, form a resolution to make the day a happy one for a fellow creature. -Sydney Smith

All my life people have told me about how great a reader I am and how smart I was. But then it happened....middle school. All though elementary I was in the gifted program ya know kids with high lexile and reading levels so of course I got put into English Honors my first year in middle school. Unfortuanely for me I got the strictest, ruthless, and overall heartless english teacher that has ever existed. I was terrified! Here I was, a jittery mess of a 6th grader surrounded by the geniuses and then this shark of a teacher who was always circling, looking for her next victim. So let's fast-forward to that awful day, shall we? It's was a couple weeks after school had officially started, I spent my days cowering and attempting to shrink so as to not be noticed by anyone. We had just finished some sort of video and were expected to write a elegant and critical review of said video. I did my work, looked it over and thought I did pretty good. (Just to give you a sense of the amount of pressure and work that was over me, just imagine a gigantic anvil hanging over you with a rapidly loosening rope, not a warm fuzzy feeling right?) So, fast forward a day or so to when we got our papers back. When I got mine everything froze. A F. Failure staring me in the face. I was in shock! In school the only subject I could feel confident in was english and here was a F, telling me how awful I was. I went home and cried so hard and long I felt like I could've made a entire ocean out of my tears. My parents were understanding and decided it would be best for my emotional and mental health to transfer me out of that womans class. I am so grateful that I can have my faith in English restored.

This is when I was in 6th grade in a new school. I was nervous, scared, depressed and this teacher did nothing but show me that sometimes people are just angry. You coul've been the best person in the world but they would still be malicious to you.