The Contemplation of Concentration | Teen Ink

The Contemplation of Concentration

By jashall14 BRONZE, Piedmont Oklahoma, Oklahoma
jashall14 BRONZE, Piedmont Oklahoma, Oklahoma

Have you ever tried to concentrate but you can’t because your class is rowdy, loud, and rude? I was the exact same in my English class 6th hour everyone is loud, mean, and rowdy because they just want to leave ... But that was before I used perspective taking skills, my teacher won’t let us listen to music which is one of the ways I concentrate wand happens to be the thing I will be talking about today. Empathy is putting yourself in someone else's shoes and looking and seeing how they think.

It was Monday my class was rowdy I was tired ,so I asked my english teacher if we could listen to music so i could concentrate needless to say she said no… so I asked why, my teacher said “If I let you guys use earbuds then no one will listen” so I used perspective taking. In my head I saw all the reasons she wouldn't let us use earbuds and all the possible reasons she would let us use earbuds.

At first I believed her point of view was bad and mine was perfect but then … I realized I wasn't always perfect like everyone wants to believe about themselves. In the beginning my point of view was this, “ This class is rowdy and loud we should be able to listen to music but the teachers being mean”.

Then i realized that she wasn't being mean she had rules placed for an actual reason so I used empathy to see what her reasons were.

Finally I realized that her reasons for not letting us listen to music were very smart and mostly true but there were also ways around the things the rules were placed for. Here is a short list of the reasons I found why she wouldn't let us listen to music. Number one was that she was scared that we wouldn't listen to her, and she was afraid we wouldn't pay attention. But if you just make us take one of the earbuds out then we would listen, and make sure only the music tab and the tab for our assignment were open.
In conclusion I’ve realized that the rules she placed were very smart but there were also ways

around them, so the insight I’ve gained was the insight why she had the rules in place and the ways

around them. If students and teachers alike would learn a greater form of empathy ( me included ) then

we would be able to tell why all the rules in our school were in place and how to make it fair for both t

he students and teachers. Also a greater form of empathy might affect our community as a whole like in

my case my teacher saw both of our points of view and saw that they were both smart it might make

greater understanding within our community as a whole.

This piece is about my class and how empathy can affect the way you think