Dementia | Teen Ink

Dementia

By reach4mars GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania
reach4mars GOLD, State College, Pennsylvania

I already know how it ends, I'm just here for the ride :)

As a person grows old their body slowly deteriorates, gradually shrinking as time passes. Their body forms into something new, something unrecognizable. A complete stranger, at least, on the outside. Their mouths still form the same smilies they once had, their eyes, the same bright curious look they had ten, twenty, thirty years ago. Their mind, though a bit slower, just as witty as it once was. They still hold the same memories, share the same values and speak as they had so many years ago.

At least, this is what is supposed to happen. This is how growing old should be. But for others, as their body deteriorates, their mind slowly deteriorates with them. It’s hard becoming a stranger to someone you love dearly. It’s even harder when that person was once someone who loved you so dearly. Maybe they used to hold you close to their chest and whisper soft meaningful words that would otherwise be meaningless if someone else said them, but now all they do is look at your curiously and wonder what once was. Slowly you become nothing more but a shadow.

Thank you so much! If I have your approval then I must be doing something right XD

WolfWhisperer0911 BRONZE, Austin, Texas
@reach4mars There is only one word that I will have to say after reading this: "WOW." Keep up the awesome job!