Words I Never Said | Teen Ink

Words I Never Said

I am a Muslim girl that wears the headscarf. I am an American citizen that was born in Canada. I do not like the way things are.

When I walk amongst people, I am stared at. People whisper, or shout. Sometimes I receive curses, and sometimes I receive hugs and firm hands on my shoulder, accompanied by warm words of encouragement. I understand that this is the way things are, but I do not like it. The curses are obvious; I don’t like being called a terrorist. I don’t like burning stares and obscene gestures. The support is more difficult to explain; put simply, the fact that I receive so much support shows that there is a need for it, that I am being opposed.

I do not like it.

When I go to my mosque, or run into another Muslim, most girls do not wear the hijab, the headscarf. The fact is, when I come across these people, I cannot tell if they are afraid to wear it, or if the culture we live in draws them away from their religion. Either way, I do not like it. I do not like that the country that I live in, that the people I live among, that the society I am restlessly studying to serve, does not want me.

I want to be here. I do not like that I am unwanted.

However, I will not be held back.

I am fifteen years old. I am a junior in highschool. I want to either teach Latin or become a professor focusing in Graeco-Roman mythology. I am an avid anime fan that likes to sew her own costumes. Hijab versions, that is. Despite being nervous, I go to Latin club meets, Mock Trial competitions, and anime conventions wearing my hijab. I walk in my school five days a week, and the grocery store or downtown over the weekend. I am a person, normal, practicing religion and living my life without any odd restraints.

I love this life. But I do not like that that my religion is hated.

I do not like that after 9/11 my father was afraid to let us leave the house.

I do not like that a stranger tried to grab my brother when my mom was pushing him down the street in a stroller, telling her that she didn’t deserve him.

I do not like that the president of my country, our country, does not want me here.

I don’t like it, but I don’t like taking tests either, and I do pretty well on those.

I like that I have friends that support me.

I like that I have opportunities to learn, to study what I love, and pursue my dreams.

I like that there’s a part of me that’s willing to recognize that I can continue working to achieve my goals.

I’m a person too, see?

I accept you.

Do you accept me?

This is me.