Societal Demons | Teen Ink

Societal Demons

By Bcm1300 BRONZE, Auburn, New York
Bcm1300 BRONZE, Auburn, New York

The human race is incredible because of the diversity and individuality within it, but underneath we all contain the same skeleton. Too often people are judged for their looks, for their orientation, or anything else that makes them different from societal norms. You don’t know what another person is going through, you don’t know their daily battles, so instead of judging, spread a little love. Sometimes all someone needs is a smile, because they have to fake their own. Pay attention to the ominous cloud that hangs over people's heads, give them a ray of sunshine.

High school can be one of the most difficult times of your life, I personally have struggled with a lot in my life, and I have found people who have fought battles similar to mine. My friends are the strongest people I know. A good friend contains so many pronounced characteristics. My friend is the purest individual as a friend. She is honest, no matter the consequences. She’s loyal without fault, dependable and protective. No matter what she herself is facing she will always help those she cares for due to her selfless nature. She will defend you against anyone, and she will always have your back. Her friends are her family. She is the greatest gift I could ever ask for.

My closest friend hides her struggles the best but if you look closely you can see. Her hair is always a different color because it’s one thing in her life she can control, but her hair often goes unwashed, and unbrushed because her life moves so quickly she can’t take care of herself first. Her smile, shines so bright and beautiful, but the small dimple on her right cheek only appears if you really make her laugh. Her eyes are a striking blue, often times they are bloodshot from self-medicating. The dark circles under her eyes show how tired she is from waking up early for school and then working late into the night, she fluctuates in weight a lot because she doesn’t always get to eat. Still, she pushes forward through it all, to keep moving.

My heart aches when I see the pain that hides behind her eyes, when she talks about her struggles her voice will crack as if she has not spoken in weeks as the words try to escape her lips in search of ears that will actually listen. Her soul wanders, aimlessly within her looking for a piece of stability, longing for a sense of belonging. She used to be judged for being the poor kid in school, but nobody knew that she lived with her friends, sleeping on whatever couch was available for the night. Getting up in the morning is a battle she fights daily, wondering what she is even fighting for at this point. Eventually, after being treated so cruelly by others, your defenses grow. My friend successfully built a barrier around herself, impenetrable by the dark forces threatening to push her down. If you want to see the girl I know you have to bring your strongest tools to chisel away at her forcefield. However, it’s a challenge that is well worth it.

Every human being is faced with challenges in their life. My friend has made it through everything, in my eyes she’s indestructible. We all have our demons inside, so if we can rely on each other, if we can share a little love, we can change the world. The demons inside some are more powerful than others, but anyone can overcome anything you just have to see, you have to realize that other people go through things too.

William Arthur Ward said, “A warm smile is the universal language of kindness”. It is important to empathize with the people that are around you. Sharing a simple smile with a stranger while passing by can make the biggest difference in their lives. It spreads hope, love, and friendship. A smile is universal, no matter your background it shares the same meaning. It is time to share love with others, it is time to actually mean it when we ask “How are you today?”, it is time to listen to others. Life gives us all our own battles to fight, but it also gives us each other to help us through them. We are assets to each other, and it is important to lean on one another because two is stronger than one. Let’s be each other's sunshine, and let's make the world a better place by helping one another.