Thirteen Truths | Teen Ink

Thirteen Truths

December 7, 2017
By alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York
alyssa0401 PLATINUM, Staten Island, New York
39 articles 0 photos 19 comments

Favorite Quote:
"In the end, we only regret the chances we didn't take."


1. Life isn't fair. As cliché as this may sound, I feel the need to point out that the universe will do anything within its power to make you suffer. Nobody is on your side. It's you against the world. And if anybody has the audacity to tell you otherwise, they're lying.

2. Middle school will contain the worst years of your life. People may tell you that it's an opportunity to discover who you are and showcase your talents. What they don't disclose is that your self-esteem will be crushed by others who feel they are better than you. You either conform or risk being banished from society. It's that simple.

3. You can't eat that meal. As tempting as the sweet aroma of a homemade breakfast may seem, you have to politely refuse. You can't risk taking on an extra few pounds. You already make the scale sigh each and every time you reluctantly step on. Being fat is not cool. Don't eat, and you can't gain any more weight.

4. Cut slits into your wrists regularly. The visual of blood seeping out of destroyed skin is quite aesthetically pleasing. It'll make your concerns vanish for a little while. If anyone tells you that self-harm isn't the answer, ignore them. It's the only solution to the agony middle school creates.

5. Sacrifice who you are for the sake of others. If it means throwing your intelligence to the ground and stomping on it as if it never existed in the first place, putting pounds of makeup onto your grotesque face, and having a cold heart, so be it. Being accepted by your peers is all that matters. After all, you just want to be popular. So bow down to their level and do what they say.

6. Wear inappropriate clothing. If it breaks the dress code, you're on the right track. All the girls wear belly-shirts, short shorts, mini-skirts, spaghetti straps, and crop tops, so you should, too. Don't let your mom pick out your clothes for you. These kids will only let you hang out with them if you're dressed for the part.

7. Let people make fun of you. Don't you dare stand up for yourself. If you're called a "freak," a "weirdo," a "geek," a "loser," or whatever stupid names they come out with, just suck it up. If you speak up, you might be excluded from the group. Are you really willing to do that?

8. Come home every day and cry. Remove the mask that you've had to parade through school with all day long. Permit the waterfalls to come cascading from your bloodshot eyes, leaving streaks of rivers across your crimson face. Become depressed. Let others manipulate you. All of that defines who you are.

9. Go to sleep. It's the only time when you can actually relax and not have to worry about what your so-called friends think of you. Your mind will wander and peace can finally overwhelm your body. That is, until the nightmares strike.

10. Wake up. Again. Let out a groan. You wish you could have died overnight. It would be better than facing another day at school. Then, decide that you're not going to school today. Give up.

11. Plan your suicide. The pain has become too unbearable. You will take your life today. Write a note to your family, explaining why it was best for you to kill yourself. Nobody will care when you are gone. You add nothing valuable to this world. Lift the burden you carry regularly.

12. As you are about to shove the knife into your heart, have a realization. Think about what you are about to do. You are bringing your own life to an end because other people were able to get the best of you. How would your family feel? Your life matters. You are intelligent, you are miraculous, you are precious, you are capable, and you are enough. You are deserving of life and all the beautiful gifts that come with it.

13. Choose to live.