My Cat Buttercup | Teen Ink

My Cat Buttercup

By kmansfield SILVER, Holgate, Ohio
kmansfield SILVER, Holgate, Ohio

I arrived home from school on a very nice and sunny May day in 2012. I ran straight to my kitchen cabinet to grab a snack because I was starving. Then I pulled out my books and homework that a normal third grader would have. I began to work on it before my mom arrived home. I worked for about an hour and a half on my homework and then decided to go play outside. I noticed it was almost six o’clock, and I knew my mom should be home. I decided to run into the house where my grandma was folding the laundry and asked her, “Where is mom? She is never an hour late. Did something happen to her?”
My Grandma Mary responded, “Yes, she is fine. She’s just running a little late. She’ll be home anytime now.”
I waited at the window looking out til my mom pulled in about five minutes later. She had something in her hands. I just wasn’t sure what it was, but I knew it was going to be something awesome. As my mom walked up the steps, I opened the door, and she walked inside. I heard a cute little “meow,” and then I saw a little baby kitten. It was so little that it fit into my mom’s hand, and it was only one pound two ounces when my mom brought her home. The little kitten was all curled up in her hand. The kitten looked like a little fluff ball. Her fur was mostly white as snow, with splotches of brown and black. My mom finally put the little kitten on the ground, and it went around smelling everything. Soon my other cat Honey came out, and she wasn’t too fond of the little kitten. Honey hissed like a snake.
After a few days, Honey became used to the little kitten, and the two cats began to get along. My mom looked at my brother and me asking, “So, guys, what do you think of her? Is she a keeper?”
My brother and I were so excited we exclaimed, “Yes, we love the little kitten. She’s so cute!”
My family and I sat around hours that night, watching her play and explore her new home. We showed her the food bowl, water bowl, and litter box. We also showed her the collar and mouse toys we bought her. My mom asked me, “What should we name her?”
I responded very excitedly, “I think we should name her Buttercup!”
My brother and mom really liked the name Buttercup. That's what name we decided fit her the best: Buttercup the little kitten. My brother, Mom, and I picked her up and cuddled her. We all said, “Welcome to the family, Buttercup.”
This is definitely the best gift I have ever received. I really enjoyed watching Buttercup grow up and become more curious.