A Pleasant Snowfall | Teen Ink

A Pleasant Snowfall

By OAssenmacher BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio
OAssenmacher BRONZE, Sylvania, Ohio

It was a cold day, perfect for skiing. The bright sun was barely visible through the gloomy clouds. As my sister and I departed from the rusty chairlift, our skis brushed past the newly fallen snow. Our heavy coats hit the wind, making a whooshing sound against the air. My jacket, of course, was as blue as the ocean. It had small hints of gray near the sleeves.  Ellie’s jacket was the hottest pink you have ever seen. Her dainty arm pointed in the direction of my favorite run, Redtail. We grinned at each other, smiles spreading from ear to ear. Slowly, we guided our skis in the direction of the hill.

Once we made it to the edge, we stood there, looking over the mountains. You could smell the evergreens. They were so strong it felt like they were up against your nose. That fresh scent of evergreens made my nose tingle. I desired more of the scent. There were blackbirds sitting on top of the trees. Their loud cooing was pleasing to the ears. Crystal clear snow began to lightly fall. The snowflakes followed the rushing wind wherever it took them. Looking up into the cotton-ball clouds, I opened my mouth and closed my eyes. My shivering tongue stuck out of my mouth, crying for the snow to fall on it. Finally, the snow understood and listened. Small flakes of happiness landed on my wet tongue, they melted and then more came. I was enjoying, tasting, and watching the tiny snowflakes. My soul was content.

Slowly, the snow disappeared and the moment slipped away. I turned my head to look out at the grand view. My heart was full of happiness. It is hard to describe what that moment felt like. When I looked out, I saw mountains upon mountains. They were everywhere like a mass of skiers on a snowy day! Their great peaks were covered in an untouched white. They looked perfectly arranged. Each one was magically unique.  Their shadows intertwined with each other. Their bases were different shades of gray and brown. Below the mountains was the village. It looked so quiet from here, but I knew that it was full of commotion. The dark buildings popped against the white snow around them. The squares and rectangles that resembled the various shops were all different from each other.

Looking down the steep hill, I saw other skiers and snowboarders.

They had no specific order. Randomly arranged, they were all trying to get down the slope. The people were young, old, tired, and energetic. Some went flying down the hill, while others gradually made their way down. So many different people in such a remote area. It was fascinating to watch them. I turned looking at my sister again. 

We eagerly grinned, for we both felt the same. She was happy, I was happy. It was a perfect moment for us that I will never forget. When our eyes met, it was quite obvious we were thinking the same thing. Slowly, we then turned to look out at the picture-perfect landscape for the last time. It was a view that people usually see once in their lifetime. We were very joyful. We soaked it all in, the trees, the beautiful snow, and the enormous mountain range. We knew that we would not be back here for quite a while. Taking in deep breaths of frigid air, we zipped up our bulky coats. Along with that, we directed our obnoxious skis, rubbed off our foggy goggles, took in some more fresh air, and put our poles in the ground. We gathered the energy we had left and pushed off. Down the hill, we went.

This piece was inspired by the great and amazing Colorado!

Daddy said...
Pretty solid for my daughter, just wish she talked about her father flying down the hill