Human Smuggling | Teen Ink

Human Smuggling

March 15, 2018
By AddisonBartz BRONZE, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
AddisonBartz BRONZE, Tomahawk, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Coyotes. Also known as human smugglers. They get all the money and leave you locked up in an overheated trailer. There is no way of escaping, what do you do? We should let migrants into countries because some countries need more people, it also can decrease the amount of people getting illegally smuggled into countries, and it can help some countries have more skilled labor.


Many deaths have occured because of human smuggling. If it weren’t for strict laws, people wouldn’t have to get illegally smuggled, therefore, there wouldn’t be as many deaths. July 22nd, 2018 was one of the deadliest human smuggling cases in Texas history. The police found eight bodies in an overheated cab of a tractor trailer. 100 or more immigrants have been packed in there for their transportation to the United States. The final death toll was 10 and dozens were hospitalized. Some of them were barely holding on. In the year 2003, 19 immigrants died from heat exhaustion and dehydration. They were getting smuggled from the border to Houston in the back of a trailer. The temperature in the trailer reached 173 degrees inside. Tyrone Williams was the driver and was sentenced to 34 years in prison according to the article Jobs, Not Policies, Attract Migrants. Being smuggled across a border is a big risk. There are several casualties every week of immigrants getting left in hot trailers and dying. That is why we should legally let immigrants come into our country so the rate of deaths go down.


Many immigrants have to pay their smuggler thousands of dollars in order for the smuggler to carry out their action. According to the Mexican Migration Project, “Mexicans who enter the United States illegally by crossing the southern border pay the smugglers about $3,000 to $4,000 dollars.” Asian immigrants coming to the United States pay larger amounts of money to get inside, most likely in the tens of thousands of dollars. In The Conservative Case for Immigration Tariffs, Alex Nowrasteh says Mexican immigrants pay $4,000 to cross the border on foot and $9,000 by boat. In 2005, Asian immigrants, average $26,041 to come to America, Europeans $6,389, and Africans $2,200. Smugglers get the easy job. They know that the immigrants want to get across the border so they give all the money they have to the smugglers, the smugglers are only there for the money. The smugglers take the migrants money and leave them to die, spending thousands of dollars on nothing.


The Mobility Policy offers a great way to make an agreement on immigrants coming into countries. After the 2005 EU expansion, “a million and a half Europeans came to the UK and Ireland and made a great economic contribution.” Changing our mindset and accepting migrants into “The Global North” is a good reason to let the immigrants in. Reasons include: work, education, family, etc.  Politicians are working to figure out a long term, human rights mobility and a policy that will address the situation correctly. Developing refugee settlement programs provides a place for the immigrants to live and work. Seeing that we need more skilled labor, that can open up more visa opportunities and it reduces the amount of smugglers. Let’s reduce the death rate of refugees by legally letting them safely into a country. Policies are a great way for migrants to be safe in a country they are trying to get into. Politicians can put their heads together and figure something out that will benefit their country. That is a better alternative rather than innocent people dying.


Increasing border security will intensify efforts to stop smugglers and increasing border security could make efforts greater into stopping smugglers, but that isn’t enough to stop the death rates. Smugglers bring heroin, crack cocaine, and crystal meth into America and it kills many people. In the article Bring On The Wall, “President Trump calls for more treatment for drug addicts.” As more and more talk about the wall going up, smugglers fees go up. More risks for immigrants to be left behind. In Nogales Mexico, Flaco describes how he has “taken drugs and people into the United States for more than three decades”.


Even if smugglers pay massive amounts of money, the immigrants get safely into the border. Money doesn’t grow on trees. Immigrants get as much money as they need to get across the border and half of them get left for dead. Smugglers get paid thousands and thousands of dollars. The United States must make sure businesses only hire workers that have papers. Letting immigrants legally into the country will stop the smugglers from getting richer and richer by the minute. The article Bring On The Wall, Flaco points to the border fence and explain how he has taken drugs and people into the United States for more than three decades. He was the master smuggler back in his day. Marijuana is now legal in America so that is hitting the pockets of Mexican smugglers. Flaco also says the train workers are paid by the smugglers.


We should let immigrants into our country because the human smugglers wouldn’t leave as many immigrants left to die, immigrants wouldn’t lose their money, and we can easily find a way they can somehow contribute to whatever their country they are in. They can contribute to the country. Would you trust a coyote to get you “safely” across a border?


The author's comments:

I wanted to learn more about this topic. It seems like a interesting topic and a lot of innocent people die.