All Alone | Teen Ink

All Alone

By destinyfaith03 BRONZE, Hemet, California
destinyfaith03 BRONZE, Hemet, California

Early in the morning, about 4 o’clock, my hair and body drenched with sweat, my legs feeling heavy, and  every breath I drew made my lungs hurt more than ever. All alone, just me and my thoughts, and the burning sensation all over my body, trying to  move one foot in front of the other. I was running alone. My mind having to remind my body to breath. Determined to beat myself in this race, as if I was running  from death, but in the end, it's all worth it.

It's barely the beginning of the race, I already think I might pass out.  I tell myself, “ step on cockroaches” to correct my running form. I see Kelley in sight. I gotta pick it up if I want that podium. Slowly step by step moving my leg to my butt and back infront of my body.  Kellie’s doing the same thing I am, while her pony tail swings back and forth mocking me.

Kelley and I used to be friends. Key word was used to. It all happened back in Vista Pamona middle school, I was dating Ryan, she was just friends with him. The next day Ryan broke up with me and went to her, and the unbelievable thing is, she said yes! What type of friend even does that to another? Thats not even the worst part, she lyed to my mom and told my mom I was with Alex. Alex is the bad kid of the school, always doing drugs of some sort, and with my running career just taking off I can’t have rumors going around like that. Obviously she didn’t care. On the other hand, she was a really good friend most of the time I kinda miss her. Haha, just kidding I’m all on my own and that's completely fine, just me, myself, and I. Nobody else to worry about or please.

The finish is in sight, Kelley is just a step away, which means I’m just a step away from victory.

“ Move faster.” I mumble under my heavy breathing

My ears hear rattle as the crowd cheers me on, and the warmth of the sun shining on my hair making it look golden, as it sways across my shoulders.

“I’m almost there.”

I’m right next to Kelley now, we’re stride for stride. Every movement the same. We’re about 400 meters away from the finish, it's time to go. I take off in front of Kelley while she strides close behind. I can hear her breathing, and her feet clickety clacking behind me. I can’t hear myself think, the crowd is going wild. 100 meters left go faster I try to tell myself.

Then everything went black...

THis short story I wrote just connects to me in many ways. For one, I'm writing how I feel as I run through this girl in my story, how my legs start to get heavey, but its all about the joy and passion for running. It's hard to put into words, but it's an amazing feeling. Also, this girl is a fast runner, and thats what I'm working towards. In a way, she is me.