The Comeback Season | Teen Ink

The Comeback Season

By njdmarcus BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
njdmarcus BRONZE, Franklin Lakes, New Jersey

The 2017-18 season for the New Jersey Devils some may call a fluke because the Devils made the playoffs for the first time in 6 years. Leading up to the 2017-18 season the Devils were granted the #1 overall pick in the NHL Draft because they finished in the bottom of the league the previous season. Therefore, everyone in the hockey community predicted and they were pretty sure of themselves that they would finish in the bottom tier of the league. However, with new faces in the organization and head coach John Hynes entering his third season as head coach, the Devils were determined to prove people wrong last season and make it to the playoffs. It was not an easy task because going from dead last in the league to making the playoffs is very rare. The Devils started off the season on fire and started with one of the best records in the league, and kept it rolling pretty much all season. However, the key piece to the Devils is all star left wing Taylor Hall. Entering his second season with the Devils he was determined to make the playoffs, and carry the team if he has to because his former team, Edmonton Oilers, have never made the playoffs in 8 years. Not only did Taylor Hall carry the team that season, he finished the season with 93 points, which was 39 points ahead of the Devils fantastic rookie, Nico Hischier. In the NHL, or any pro league it is impossible to super rare to see one player carry a team to victory night in and night out. Taylor Hall was one of the exceptional players in the world that can pull it off, Taylor Hall was able to rip off a 28 game point streak. Not to be forgotten, the Devils would not have made the playoffs if they did not get help from there rookies, Nico Hischier (#1 overall pick in the 2017 Draft) who notched 52 points, Will Butcher who lead rookie defenseman in points, and Jesper Bratt, a kid who was drafted in the 6th round and considered a steal from that draft after that season. Once the Devils clinched the playoffs they were faced against the very intimidating Tampa Bay Lighting in a 7 game series. Unfortunately, it only took 5 games into the series for the Tampa Bay Lighting eliminate the Devils from the playoffs. It was a disappointing end to the season, but it was definitely a step in the right direction for the Devils, and something to build off for the 2018-19 season. Now with more to prove, can the Devils be a fixture in the playoffs every season? Can they make it pass the first round this season? The season is creeping up and the Devils are eager to get back in the swing of things and prove everyone wrong again that last season was not a fluke.

Entering the 2018-19 season is a big step for the Devils, a make or break season to prove the hockey community wrong that they were not a fluke last season. To start off on the right foot, the Devils need to have a strong and competitive training camp to have the right mind set coming into the new season. The Devils were not satisfied last season and want to build off of their performance and take that next step in the playoffs, they want to be recognized as a team that can make the playoffs season after season and create some stability in the organization. The Devils training camp this season was very competitive and as the head coach of the Devils says, “no job is safe and you have to work for it to be on this team”. The impact that John Hynes creates shows that everyone has to work for it, even the reigning hart trophy winner Taylor Hall. Since the Devils like to have a competitive camp, that creates hope for the young players and up and coming ones to crack the lineup and make the team out of camp. Forward John Quenneville a top prospect (A good young player with potential) was drafted in the 1st round of the 2014 draft who notched 34 points in 43 games for the Devils minor league team last year and has been waiting for his opportunity to make the team. After last season the Devils decided to move on from a couple of players like forwards Michael Grabner and Patrick Maroon, which creates openings for younger players to step into the lineup like Quenneville.

The beginning of season is very important for any NHL club, because they want to start off on the right foot and not fall behind too much in the standings. However, the beginning of the season for the Devils is much different from the rest of the 30 NHL clubs because they are a part of the NHL Global Series. The NHL Global Series, is an NHL regular season game that is help overseas in a different part of the world. This season the Devils and the Edmonton Oilers were the two chosen teams to play a game in Gothenburg, Sweden to open up the NHL regular season for both teams. This event is a great way for the NHL to expand popularity outside of North America, and also allows the teams to start on the road and create bonds with other players and get to know the team while on the road. However, on the other hand there are definitely bad things about the trip because the team has to travel to Gothenburg, Sweden for 1 game and then travel back to their respective city and continue on for the NHL season. So it is a good task for the Devils because they are playing a good team in the Edmonton Oilers and playing against one of the best players in the world, two time art ross winner, Connor McDavid. As well as dealing with geographical challenges flying to and from Sweden and staying mentally focused on the season ahead and not being distracted by the setting in Sweden.