Touching Lives through Touchdowns | Teen Ink

Touching Lives through Touchdowns

“Football?” Some have questioned, “How can a child who has autism or a physical disability play football?” As a ten-year-old volunteer at the Achievement Centers for Children, I was uncertain as well. My very first day, I watched as Eric, a teenage boy with prosthetic legs walk on to the field to participate. I turned to my dad and said “He can’t play football. What is he supposed to do?” I was flustered. My mind could not wrap my head around his differences. I simply believed there was no way for him to have a role on the team.

As I began volunteering with Achievement Centers for Children, I watched as this organization acted as a second home and support system to children and adults with mental and or physical disabilities. Families from all over the city of Cleveland reached out to Achievement Centers to allow their children to dream and grow through experiences they could not have previously imagined: horseback riding, arts and crafts, physical therapy, and athletics. Throughout that first year, I watched as more experienced volunteers found the perfect role for Eric on the Adapted Football team as quarterback. Eric, a smart young man with prosthetic legs, took on his role and led his team to develop plays and score touchdowns. Since then, I have a coached over 50 children and young adults as they developed through the sport of football.

I found that sports could open a new door for all kids, pushing them to learn skills that they would not be able to learn in the same capacity elsewhere:  teamwork, leadership, and selflessness. Through Adapted Football, I observed kids who came every Saturday unsure of what they were doing, grow into young men and women who could lead their teammates to success. I watched as Justin, a young man who has autism, begin at eight-years-old simply playing with the other kids and stealing the ball away from them. Now, he is sixteen and will sacrifice his own touchdown to allow his teammate, Harry, a young man with severe non-verbal autism, catch the ball. Justin’s personal growth encouraged me to take a step back and reflect on how I could become more compassionate, just like him. As an athlete myself, what I never realized is how much I could learn from this diverse group. I became a leader by appreciating the talents of those around me.

The lessons I will take with me from this experience are simple. Now I resist the urge of yanking my arm away from Harry when he wants to inspect my elbow. I understand the language I must use to help thirty-year-old Emilio engage in the football game rather than focusing on the clouds above him. Most importantly, I recognize how simply building meaningful relationships can have an impact so large that thirteen-year-old Carnell with nonverbal autism has progressed so quickly that now, at age sixteen, he asks his mother every Saturday morning: “Where’s Patty?”. While I was not initially comfortable with Adapted Football, it allowed me to grow with compassion for those dealing with obstacles that I cannot personally relate to. I found a way to open my own mind, allowing me to recognize the various talents and possibilities for each player to become a crucial member to their team. It was through this program that I developed the true understanding of what it means to learn from the people I serve.

Through teaching and leading a team sport, I discovered the importance of simple actions and the impact they have on others. Although on the outside it looked like I was teaching the kids skills that enhanced their overall mental and physical growth, really, they were the ones who taught me. Each touchdown scored opened my eyes to see how the unique gifts and talents of a person should be embraced. Everyone has a role on the team.

I can very personally relate to this piece.