The Wolf Pack | Teen Ink

The Wolf Pack

January 14, 2019
By Anonymous

After a poor start to the season, starting 3-5, the Dallas Cowboys had become streaking-hot going 7-0 from week 9 stretching until week 16, still in playoff contention. With pro-NFL rookie’s stepping up like Leighton Vander-Esch and breakout rookie performers like Chidobe Awuzie, the Cowboys defense is one of the top three in the league and has become a dominant presence on the field to any offense.  Former strong safety, Byron Jones has stepped up also transitioning his game style to fit the interest of the team and become a corner, he has been selected for the Pro-bowl. The Cowboys even have arguably the best linebacker trio in the league including Jaylon Smith, Sean Lee, and Leighton. Each brings their own special traits to the field leaving the opposing offense ineffective. The d-line has become a powerhouse also, Demarcus Lawrence, Randy Gregory, Greg Irvin, etc. all have extreme impacts on the line applying an immense amount of pressure on the QB. One of the captains of the defense, Tyrone Crawford and Jeff Heath are season vets who know what it takes to win. The Dallas defense is young and explosive, full of energy, and ready to attack with force on every play.
           

Furthermore, the offensive has been rolling since the acquiring of superstar Amari Cooper for a first-round draft pick. Although originally questionable if a first-round pick was worth Cooper, he has proved his worth with over 30 receptions, 7 TD’s, and over 900 receiving yards. In week 14, against the Philadelphia Eagles, Amari had two receiving touchdowns in the fourth quarter and a game-winning touchdown in overtime to win the game. Michael Gallup, a rookie out of Colorado State, has also become a star wide receiver and a favorite target of Dak. With Cooper and Gallup working efficiently, the run game has opened up for Zeke to dominate. Zeke leads the league in rushing yards and is in almost every play of every drive. The 6’0 ft, 225-pound monster has become a league-wide threat and almost unstoppable to bring to the ground, due to averaging over three yards after contact.  He has held the rushing title in two of the past three years.
           Moreover, Coaching has become a concern of the fans of the Dallas Cowboys. Jerry Jones has been reluctant to change the coaching staff although only winning 3 playoff games since 2000.  However, although Scott Linehan has become a shaky offensive coordinator, and many fans don’t feel that he deserves the position he has, Linehan has brought this offense together and it is now rolling. The defensive coordinator Rob Marinelli has done an exceptional job with the defense this year and is wanted back by all next year. The coaching staff although concerning at times has led the team to an over 500%-win season.
           

After defeating the Seattle Seahawks in the NFC wild-card game, they now face the Los Angeles Rams. A team with a weak run defense that will surely struggle against Zeke. With young talent and seasoned vets, the team is looking to go in a very positive direction. The Cowboys are playing the Seahawks on Saturday, January 4 in Dallas and are the favorites to win the game by two points. The pressure is on for the streaking hot Cowboys towards their goal of the Lombardi Trophy held in the Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta, Georgia. As Ezekiel Elliot, running back and super-star of the Dallas Cowboys said, “We run and we hit… we are a smash mouth football team.


The author's comments:

My favorite football team is the Dallas Cowboys