Seton Hall Upsets Kentucky | Teen Ink

Seton Hall Upsets Kentucky

January 17, 2019
By mwisniewski2121 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
mwisniewski2121 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

It was on Saturday December 8th of 2018, the Seton Hall Pirates upset the 9th ranked Kentucky Wildcats in Madison Square Garden. After suffering a blowout season opener game to Duke, Kentucky dropped in rankings from number 1 overall team in the NCAA. The Wildcats had been tested by a really powerful team and yet still were ranked 9th in the nation even after the big loss. The Seton Hall vs Kentucky game started at 12 o’clock eastern standard time and fans were in a rush to make the game on time. I went along with my Father, my Uncle, and his friends. We arrived early at the train station due to a packed day in the city. The first half of the game was not what fans expected, the Pirates were able to keep the game close with the score being 31-25 Kentucky. The game wasn’t that exciting yet and fans were hoping for a more entertaining second half. Although Seton Hall was down at halftime, they managed to keep Kentucky under 40 points. Seton Hall started the season off shaky after losing 4 senior starters from last season who carried most of the load, it was time for a new leader of the team this season. Myles Powell the junior starting guard for Seton Hall filled this position as he became a dominant leader averaging over 20 points per game. Powell had a rough first half only scoring 3 points, as he was not in his normal shooting groove and he was not very aggressive. As the second half began, the game was still up for grabs and after 7 minutes into it, the score was tied 39 to 39 as Seton Hall was desperate to come out with a win. The game continued to go back and forth towards the end of the half, when Myles Powell got hot from the 3 point line, giving the team an advantage. Coming down to the last 5 minutes of the game Powell hit a 3 pointer to put his team up 54-53. Then being down 54-58 Powell came around a screen hitting a monsterous 3 pointer to bring the game to 1. Myles continued to hit shots down to the last minute. With 10 seconds left Seton Hall had the ball tied 67-67 to Kentucky, Powell brings up the ball down the left side of the court. All the people in the crowd were on the edge of their seats, as Myles made his way to the wing and launched a deep three, and he hit it! We were all incredibly shocked as well as everyone else in the arena. Seton Hall was up 70-67 with 1.1 seconds left. No one could have predicted it, however with the time remaining on the clock, Keldon Johnson took a dribble up to the half court line and cashed the shot in at the buzzer. Madison Square Garden was bouncing off the rough as the fans could not believe the two shots had gone in, it was like a miracle. Now the score 70-70 the game had to go into overtime. As overtime began, Seton Hall quickly gained a lead on Kentucky, as they were destined to make a statement and show they could compete with a respected program. With a minute and thirty left, Myles Powell drained a three for Seton Hall and they led 81 to 77. Although they were down, Kentucky quickly gained back the lead 83-81. But with 10 seconds left, Myles Cale hit an insane three to clutch the game 84-83, we were all relieved. It was now Kentucky's ball with 10 seconds left, they got off a three pointer, however it fell short. Seton Hall along with their fans exploded with excitement as they had beaten the great program of Kentucky led by Coach Calipari. Myles Powell finished with 28 points and Myles Cale finished with 17, as the team came together for a great win. Seton Hall will definitely use this big win as motivation to strive for more wins and success in the future.